Pfx & gi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pfx & gi?

Is it possible to make paintFX not be included in the GI calculation (and also not influence other objects GI)? I would know how to do this with a geo and its material, but am not sure how to modify this for a paintFX brush. Thanks.

Hmm, i think it would be best to convert the PFX to polys, first. Then you can use the geometry as usual. You have to do this to do advanced shading, anyway.

Comment

PFX renders faster than geo I believe because it uses the vray hair shader, so the goal was to get a fast render--which is also why I wanted to disable GI for it. Converting the geo would solve the GI issue, but defeat the greater purpose of a faster result.

Comment

Offically speaking, I do not think that even Paint Effects is supported by V-Ray/Chaos.

I remember starting a thread a year or two ago saying thanks for native pfx and a dev joined the thread saying he didn't know about it!

But yes, it would be a good thing to have sharktacos.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

After doing further tests, it seems like Vray fur is faster than PFX. Can someone from Chaos confirm that?
          I still would like to know how to control the GI for PFX if it can be done, since there are obviously things you can do with PFX that you can't with Vray fur

Comment

if you assign vray object properties node to your pfx curve and check - receive/generate gi off, and visible to gi off, the pfx geometry in rendering will not get gi, I run a quick test.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
            X