shave + vrayHairMtl3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shave + vrayHairMtl3

Sorry if this has been covered, but I wanted to ask about hooking up the VrayHairMtl3 with the new Shave v7.
    In the past the way to connect this was to
    1) set shave to geo mode in the shave globals
    2) turn off "override geo shader" in the shave attribute editor
    3) assign a VrayHairMtl3 to hair by right-clicking on it and choosing "assign new material" from the dropdown.

I believe that with the new version of shave (v7) there are better ways to do this now. Could someone please outline what that new workflow is for getting shave7 to work with the vrayHairMtl3?

thanks

You do not need to turn the hair to geometry. You can use hair primitives. To assign the vray hair mtl you can select the shave display node (in the shave display group) and then assign your material to that. You still need to turn off override geometry shader to see your material but that's it.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Thanks for your reply Dmitry! When I do this it renders grey. It only seems to work if I turn the shave globals to geo rather than prims. Once I switch to geo, prims is greyed out too.

Steps:
      1) make sphere and assign shave hair
      2) assign vrayMtlHair3 to the shavehair node (outside of the shave display group)
      3) turn off "override geo shader" in the shave attribute editor
      Hair is grey (indicating that the shader is not being applied). If I switch to geo in the shave globals it works fine.

Alternately:
      Steps:
      2) assign vrayMtlHair3 to the shaveDisplay node (inside of the shave display group)
      Hair is black (indicating the render failed). If I switch to geo in the shave globals it works fine here too.

Comment

Which version of Shave are you using?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Shave Version 7.0v16

Comment

I'm using 7.19. Previous versions seem to have hairs popping in and out of existence.

When you render, do you see the shave info in the output window?

Code:
            exporting archive
            exporting archive 1
            exporting archive 2
            exporting archive 3
            exporting archive 4
            exporting archive 5
            exporting archive 6
            OUTvoxres = 9
            exporting archive 7
            exporting archive 8
            exporting archive 9
            done writing the archive file

2) assign vrayMtlHair3 to the shaveDisplay node (inside of the shave display group)
            4) create a vray hair sampler node, connect to hair3 shader

This has been working for us.

Comment

The hair popping was a bug, which now has been resolved in v21.

As a temporary solution from Joe for builds prior to 21 would be to set hair voxel res to 1x1x1.
              Last edited by Morbid Angel; 14-02-2013, 10:46 AM. Reason: additional info
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Gray View Post
                I'm using 7.19. Previous versions seem to have hairs popping in and out of existence.

When you render, do you see the shave info in the output window?

Code:
                exporting archive
                exporting archive 1
                exporting archive 2
                exporting archive 3
                exporting archive 4
                exporting archive 5
                exporting archive 6
                OUTvoxres = 9
                exporting archive 7
                exporting archive 8
                exporting archive 9
                done writing the archive file

4) create a vray hair sampler node, connect to hair3 shader

This has been working for us.
                yes I see the same output. However when I follow the above steps you outlined the hair does not render (just a sphere with no hair renders)

Comment

Can you post a file then? Or email it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

So where about is this Shave Display Node/ Group?? These terms are used differently between packages so I'm lost. (Manual isn't much help either). Just need a hint for where to plugin the vray material into shave thanks.

ShaveHairShape (AA)? Shave Globals (AA)? Shave Menu, Hypershade somewhere?
                    Last edited by jpwestmas; 27-02-2013, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwestmas View Post
                      So where about is this Shave Display Node/ Group?? These terms are used differently between packages so I'm lost. (Manual isn't much help either). Just need a hint for where to plugin the vray material into shave thanks.

ShaveHairShape (AA)? Shave Globals (AA)? Shave Menu, Hypershade somewhere?
                      When you build a shave hair, it creates three nodes; the shaveHair node, a transform group for organizing the display nodes, and the display nodes themselves.

Spin down the shave display node in the outliner, select the shave display that corresponds to your hair, and assign hair3 to that node. So if you graph the vrayHair3 in your hypershade, you should see it connected to the shaveDisplay mesh.

When you hook up the vrayHairSampler, just connect its color/transparency to the vrayHair3.

Comment

Hi Zach thank you very much for your help, appears to be working now. Thanks for pointing out the vrayHairSampler. I didn't know about that node. By hooking that up you mean plugging it into the Hair3 Overall Color and Transparency channels inside the graph?
                        Last edited by jpwestmas; 28-02-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

It usually makes more sense to map the diffuse or the transmission component, rather than the overall one.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Humh I just started to play with it a bit but I get really bad results... can some1 post simple sphere/scene example?

Ok got it, why do we use this node again ? vrayHairSampler??
                            Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM.
                            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              It usually makes more sense to map the diffuse or the transmission component, rather than the overall one.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              Playing around with the VRay Hair Sampler. I noticed that when I map the out color to the overall color of the VRay hair material, Vray uses the colors from the Shave Hair Shape node. I actually like the look better except it takes 30% longer to render. Anyway, I thought that was interesting and wondering if there was another way to use the colors from Shave Hair.

Comment

Working...
                              X