Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear workflow tickbox with VrayLightDome texture

Hi,

I understand that Linear workflow tickbox is not the preferred method, probably because of the following (ie confusion);

If I have the Linear workflow tickbox on and a HDRI and it is assigned to the VRayLightDome. What gamma setting should I be using on the texture for correct results?

I can't decide if the HDRI should be .454 or 1?

Anyone know?
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Hi,

It depends on your linear workflow. If you use the "Linear workflow" option the HDR file used in V-ray Dome light will not be gamma corrected (with 0.454). So with gamma 2.2 value added to the color mapping section (i assume that you are using this value), the rendered HDRI will be shown in Gamma 2,2 (HDR is in linear color space). For this case if sRGB button is ON, the HDR will be double gamma corrected, otherwise the texture will be gamma 2,2.

The settings should be different in case that linear file from VFB need to be saved. The HDR texture needs to be gamma corrected (.454).
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

HDR and OpenEXR textures should NEVER be gamma corrected (except for artistic purposes) regardless of whether you use linear workflow or not. Especially when they are used in lights - the lights work with actual physically linear units and they expect the textures to be in linear physical space too.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thank you both for clearing that up.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but it seems to me that Tashko is saying
          YES, the HDR on the light should have a gamma correction (.455)
          and Vlado is saying
          NO, the HDR on the light should not have a gamma correction

So which is it guys?

Comment

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
            and Vlado is saying NO, the HDR on the light should not have a gamma correction. So which is it guys?
            No, it should not have gamma correction.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X