Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naming vray object properties nodes on creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming vray object properties nodes on creation?

Is there a way to name the vray object properties node on creation?

I want a way to mel script this so that I can create VrobProp (Vray object properties) nodes based on the selected object they are attached to.

Like if pPlane1 is selected and I apply a VrobProp setup with the right attributes checked for it to be a shadow catcher. So essentially making a little button that is "Make Vray Shadow catcher"

Then the pPlane1 name is applied to the VrobProp when created. This way when i have multiple vrayobject properties nodes in the outliner they don't just appear as

vrayobjectproperties
    vrayobjectproperties1
    vrayobjectproperties2
    vrayobjectproperties3

But rather how I want to see them so they are associated with the objects/groups connected

VrobProp_pPlane1
    VrobProp_pSphere1
    VrobProp_pPlane2
    VrobProp_Wheels_Group

Then I can easily see that the wheels_group will have the motion blur override
    The planes are shadow catchers...
    .. and the sphere is matte zero.

Even though I would have to click through them at least I can tell at a glance what I attached them to.

Currently I just rename them manually but I wanted a way of naming on creation so that the mel script is easy to track.

I mean I could always

Code:
    vray objectProperties add_single;
    connectAttr vrayobjectproperties1.outConnect vraySettings.vray_nodes_connect -nextAvailable;
    Then rename the vrayobjectProperties node. Maybe do a check to see if vrayobjectproperties1,2,3 etc exists.

But.. Is there a flag for naming the vrayobjectproperties on creation?
    ------
    KC

No there is no way to set the name at the creation time at the moment, sorry.

I'm thinking that instead of adding a parameter to allow you to specify the name a better approach is to return the path/name of the created object.
    This way we can make add_single and add_multiple to behave similarly. The former will return a single string, the latter will return an array of string.

What do you think? Will this be behaviour be good enough for you?

/Teodor
    V-Ray developer

Comment

Yeah that could work. I mean any data input is fine because we could always catch it in a string $variable[] and end up where we want right?
      ------
      KC

Comment

Ok, I've added it to our ToDo and we'll notify you when we've implemented it.
        Is this something you need urgently?
        V-Ray developer

Comment

Well, I can work around it for now so not really urgent. Besides I can't implement a new build at the moment. So when it gets implemented I'll start utilizing it at that point.

Thanks.
          ------
          KC

Comment

Btw, I just noticed that the

vray objectProperties add_multiple;

Does append the transform name to the VrobProp node.

This will be fine for now.
            ------
            KC

Comment

The "vray objectProperties add_single/add_multiple" commands now return a string array with the names of the newly created object properties nodes.
              You can check it out in the nightly builds
              V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

For vray 2 you will have to wait till next week for the next nightlies (the 3.0 ones already got this feature)
                V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Currently I am using am naming the node on creation with the create node command as a workaround.

Code:
                  createNode -name $namedNode VRayObjectProperties;
                  ------
                  KC

Comment

Working...
                  X