Mixing Vector Displacement Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Vector Displacement Maps

I'm trying to get mixed several vector displacement maps (of course, first, better start mixing only two).

The thing is, I'm running out of options.

I've make a try mixing with "blendColors" utility, but the connection in the Displacement node is very particular (appears to be "outAlpha"), while Vray knows exactly what to use of the ptex file (it uses rgb, although the connection is a "single channel" outAlpha). So when I try in this way, there is no result.

I've tried too mixing two displacement nodes, every one with its own ptex vdm, but the same result, and i think, its because the same reason.

Finally I've make a try with VrayBlendMtl, every VrayMtl with its own displacement, but obviously, the "right" displacement in this case is the VrayBlendMtl one, not every single displacement of the VrayMtls....

I'm running out of ideas.

Have you mixed up some vdm anytime?. How?.

That setup actually works on my side(3.05.04/2015), however I used outColor utility instead of outAlpha:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4SEULCX.png
Views:	1
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	854178
    Scene:869_Ptex_Mix.zip
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hmm... so you're using vrayDisplacement node instead of Maya displacement node... I see.

From ptex textures to blend colors from .oc property (output color I guess) to color property of blend colors, and from blend colors output to .ds.

Ok, I'm gonna keep working on this.

Thank you Svetlozar!

Comment

The blendColors utility works fine for me (at least in V-Ray 3.x), I'm trying to upload a scene now...

[edit] Or what Svetlozar said

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Here is my test:
          https://ftp.chaosgroup.com/vlado/vra...ptex_blend.zip

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for your test too, Vlado!.

In your case, you're mixing two ptex vdm, but then, you're connecting only .r (from rgb) to .displacement property of maya displacement node. Even being in that way, vray is not loosing "g and b" channels information?, so Vray "knows" there is more as it is using vector displacement?.

Finally I'm using a "chain" of blendColors and Ptex Maps to get the wrinkles of the model different depending the pose, making perfectly smooth blending while the low model change the shape through bones.

You have done a very very good job with vector displacement maps, great flexibility even deforming the base shape, no cracks, all perfectly continuous. Its an absolute pleasure work with Vray.
            Thank you so much for your efforts!.

Comment

Working...
            X