Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "clip" alternative to Opacity map

Hello,
    I know this is a long shot - but is there anything I might have missed as a "clipping" alternative to using an opacity map ?

I'm tasked with animating a boolean on an extraordinarily complex model (hundreds of complex radiator fins in an industrial machine plant cooler). The geometry gets polygon heavy VERY quickly so the only real possibility is via instancing. Luckily the software boolean trick works perfectly for instances (each plate has a different cut point).
    The software rendering boolean process is straightforward and would have saved the day. Apart from the need to render through the opacity maps. It suddenly get incredibly slow (potentially days per frame even on a small farm). Also I needed to raise the "Max Transparency Levels" to 600. Obviously something's not optimal there.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might optimize that setup ? The client and contract is extremely important to my company and we can't afford to lose it.

The render time booleans technique for those unfamiliar: http://therenderblog.com/render-time...aydistancetex/

Can you get me a scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can take a look at why this is slow? There might be ways to improve this, but I don't want to start you on the wrong track.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Certainly, and thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X