Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alembic as proxy

Hi,

When you use an alembic file (.abc) in the Maya VRProxy node instead of a vrmesh file (.vrmesh), is V-Ray capable of reading only the parts needed inside the .abc (thus, saving memory) - or is the whole .abc loaded?

Also, if you create one screw and instance that 100 000 times in Maya, then export to alembic and use that alembic file in the VRProxy node, will V-Ray recognize the instances (also saving memory, I presume)?
    Last edited by Fredrik Averpil; 16-10-2014, 04:28 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Fredrik

Originally posted by Fredrik Averpil View Post
    When you use an alembic file (.abc) in the Maya VRProxy node instead of a vrmesh file (.vrmesh), is V-Ray capable of reading only the parts needed inside the .abc (thus, saving memory) - or is the whole .abc loaded?
    V-Ray for its part only attempts to read the portions that it needs for a particular frame and for the particular rays that are needed for the scene, in the same way as it does with .vrmesh files. What exactly the Alembic library is doing under the hood, I don't know - it would be best to ask their developers.

Also, if you create one screw and instance that 100 000 times in Maya, then export to alembic and use that alembic file in the VRProxy node, will V-Ray recognize the instances (also saving memory, I presume)?
    No, for the moment we don't recognize the instances. Asen is actually looking into that right now.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      V-Ray for its part only attempts to read the portions that it needs for a particular frame and for the particular rays that are needed for the scene, in the same way as it does with .vrmesh files. What exactly the Alembic library is doing under the hood, I don't know - it would be best to ask their developers.
      That is excellent!

No, for the moment we don't recognize the instances. Asen is actually looking into that right now.
      Also excellent!
      I'd love to somehow get notified whenever that feature becomes available, if possible.
      Best Regards,
      Fredrik

Comment

Working...
      X