Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Matte using Extra Texture

Hi Guys,

Often times I render out custom painted mattes, using a file texture placed in an Extra Texture render element. This is pretty useful, however, in a scene with multiple objects, you end up with your custom matte applied to all objects. For compositing then, you have to combine mattes to isolate the desired area. Also, I believe this method is not optimal because you are sampling that texture across all objects, which unnecessarily drives up render time.

However, I believe in Maya there is a way to isolate the Extra Texture render element to a particular object, but I don't know how to do it. Is there an example or explanation someone can point me towards?

Cheers,
    David
    David M. Foster

Not sure I havent used it this way. But isn't there a set in matte settings at the bottom where you can add/exclude sets of objects?

I may be totally wrong :- )
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Which V-Ray version you are using?
      In V-Ray 3.x there is an include/exclude list in Extra Texture Attributes:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sstJs06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	854592
      Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 12-11-2014, 12:33 AM.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Or you can use "user attributes".
        www.deex.info

Comment

Thanks guys. We're just upgrading to 3.0 now, and I see the Include / Exclude option. That's perfect.

bigbossfr, yes, it was the "user attributes" that I think is how I saw it done before. But I guess I don't really know how you'd do that...(I'm still a little new to Maya). I guess with 3.0, my problem is solved, though.

Thanks again, guys.
          David M. Foster

Comment

Working...
          X