Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Light Mtl as Surface Shader

Using Vray for Maya 3 in Maya 2015 SP5, WIN 7

So, I've heard of people using the Vray Light Mtl as a surface shader.

I know that the native Maya surface shader is supported in Vray for Maya but I was wondering if there are any advantages in using the Vray Light mtl instead?

I've seen some occurrences when using the native surface shader where I'll get an "unsupported" warning message, yet it still seems to render fine.

What the the consensus here?

Using V-Ray native nodes is always better than using external ones even if they are supported.
    VrayLightMtl for example has an option for Exposure Compensation which is very useful when V-Ray Physical Cam is used.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

If I'm going to start using the light mtl as a full replacement for the native surface shader, are there any issues or gotchas that I should be aware of? How about settings? Besides changing the color of the light mtl, do I need to change any other settings to make sure it behaves like the native maya surface shader?

I appreciate the help.

Comment

The default setting will replicate the result from the Surface Shader only the color must be adjusted.
        Emit On Back Side option must be also activated if the shader is applied to a plane object.
        If you have a Physical Camera in the scene it is recommended to turn on Compensate Camera Exposure checkbox.
        If you want to turn the object into a light source you can do that from Direct Illumination Rollout.
        Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 13-11-2014, 04:33 AM.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Ok, great.

The only thing I'm noticing now is that the vray light mtl doesn't have a "out matte opacity" option like the native maya surface shader. I use that a lot to create a black hole or cut out type of effect.

Comment

use the vraymtlwrapper for that dariofx
            Maya 2020/2022
            Win 10x64
            Vray 5

Comment

Working...
            X