Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use PluginNode Multitex in the same way of the VRayMultiSubTex from 3ds Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use PluginNode Multitex in the same way of the VRayMultiSubTex from 3ds Max?

Hello to all,

I was watching the video: Setting up the V-Ray Shading and Lighting Pipeline when in the time 5m44s http://youtu.be/xYYrlxwB7Eg?t=5m44s I saw this VRayMultiSubTex texture of 3ds Max!

So I'm working on a scene with lots of trees and need to change the color of the leaves as was demonstrated in the video.

Then I just I thought about seek such texture in Maya! I found a similar VRayPluginNode going on: Create > V-Ray > Create from V-Ray plugin > Texture > MultiTex.

Comparing this node with 3ds Max texture seems to be the same, but I did not understand how I can distribute colors through this node!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiTex.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	881298 Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_multisubtex.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	881297
    Could someone help me on this?
    I thank you for your attention and help.

I think you can use the python post translate script to fill the Texture List and Ids List, since there is no UI for that:

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...ed+V-Ray+Scene
    V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Originally posted by ivaylo.ivanov View Post
      I think you can use the python post translate script to fill the Texture List and Ids List, since there is no UI for that:

Seems to be just what was missing...

Thanks, I'll try and see how this will work. If I get results, I explain how I managed.

Comment

Hi Ivaylo, Can you show me any examples of how to do this?

I do not have much experience with scripting. I tried to study the course of DT (Render Using Python Scripting in Maya and Pdplayer) but I don't know how I could link the textures for Multitex.

Thanks for your time and attention!
        Last edited by doark; 10-04-2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no way to make the MultiTex plugin work in Maya, because there is no such thing as face-id in Maya.

Can you describe what you're trying to achieve and then we can think about possible solutions?
          V-Ray developer

Comment

Here is an example. If you want to use mtl ids, you must use vrmesh.

multiTex.zip

Comment

Here is an example. If you want to use mtl ids, you must use vrmesh.

[ATTACH]23765[/ATTACH]
              Many thanks Ivaylo!
              Works very well. But now that I understand what I actually wanted to do with the Multitex node.

Actually only now that I realized that I wanted a random distribution between the leaves of the trees. What worked in 3ds Max with the option Random by node name.
              But in Maya as soon as I choose the option: Random by node name. Maya crashes!
              I think I'll look for other ways to do what I want.

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
              Unfortunately there is no way to make the MultiTex plugin work in Maya, because there is no such thing as face-id in Maya.

Can you describe what you're trying to achieve and then we can think about possible solutions?
              What I was trying to do was to create a variation of textures in the leaves of a tree that I imported the 3ds Max. But the more I try the more I realize that this will not be so easy.
              I'm considering using an application like the SpeedTree and see if I can have more flexibility in their distribution (random) of difrentes textures on the leaves.

Thanks for the attention of both.

Comment

Do you have every leaf as a separate Maya object/node?
                If yes, you can probably use the render id or some script to setup a switch texture.
                Another option is to use user attributes, but you have to write a script that assigns them randomly for every leaf (there were examples posted somewhere in the forum I think).
                And another option is to use a color set and the VRayVertexColors texture, but you have to find a way to paint the colors.
                V-Ray developer

Comment

I think in the tutorial, these mtl ids are generated with a special 3ds max modifier. You need just to export the result to vrmesh. If you don't have 3ds Max, you are out of luck .

Comment

hi
                    i'm also looking for a workflow to achieve color / texture variation for my trees.
                    so far we were using 3d textures as a multiplier - but no way to gain real control about the distribution.

we need those ids ...

Comment

Originally posted by mayanic View Post
                      hi
                      i'm also looking for a workflow to achieve color / texture variation for my trees.
                      so far we were using 3d textures as a multiplier - but no way to gain real control about the distribution.

we need those ids ...
                      In my DeeX VRay Arsenal plugin, i use Python scene access to do some random color variation.
                      Just add user attribute with a random color value, and voila.
                      www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by mayanic View Post
                        hi

we need those ids ...
                        Interesting, I never thought to use 3d textures as a multiplier! I have not had time enough to test all solutions presented in the topic. But I tested the t.petrov approach and worked well when I have every leaf separate. The two methods I found were using the Switch utility node:

Triple Switch
                        http://www.williework.blogspot.com.b...le-switch.html
                        Single Switch
                        http://www.tdhendrix.com/single-shad...-utility-node/

Both methods works very well for me. As much with textures and with colors only.

Comment

Working...
                        X