Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay + xGen : possible to create per-spline texture mapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay + xGen : possible to create per-spline texture mapping?

Hello,

I'm struggling to find a way to map individual splines (groomable) with an opacity cutout texture - think feathers. From what I understand this is how they created the feathers for the pidgeons on Bolt. All I can control so far is root_color and tip_color, but can not map any kind of texture (colour / opacity etc) to the actual splines (projections wouldn't be applicable in this case).

Does anyone have any useful info on whether this is indeed possible in Vray with a combination of VRayUserColor / VRayUserScalar / VRayHairSampler etc? And if not, whether it is a feature that will be worked on?

Thanks,

Geoff

Currently no. We will think on this in the future though ...
    V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Hi Viktor,

Thanks for your (disappointing) reply

I for one highly recommend that you do look into this as it opens up such a huge workflow advantage being able to use the splines rather than archives for feathers - the grooming tools alone make it worthwhile.

With Renderman there are shader modules that allow access to XGen data, like object id, primitive position, per-spline colour, per-spline opacity etc, which is what they used for Bolt: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/EIFP3nWL5I8/maxresdefault.jpg All those feathers are XGen groomable spline primitives!

Imagine being able to do that in VRay

Comment

Yep, we will get there, hopefully for SP2.
        V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Hi! I know this is a really old post but I was wondering if this issue has been resolved in newer versions of Vray?

I would really like to apply an oppacity map to individual splines for an illusion of a feathers.

Comment

Originally posted by alica_klinger View Post
            Hi! I know this is a really old post but I was wondering if this issue has been resolved in newer versions of Vray?

I would really like to apply an oppacity map to individual splines for an illusion of a feathers.
            Already implemented. Check the docs on how to use the feature.
            Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
            X