Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple dome lights? Multiple HDR images in a scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple dome lights? Multiple HDR images in a scene?

Is it possible to use multiple HDRI's in a scene? I'd like to be able to light characters in a large area and be able to use GI to affect the different conditions in a given area.

Do some other techniques need to be employed? I found a thread about this from 2010, but it didn't really seem to shed much light on the subject so to speak

Thanks for any insight,

-Ethan

You could use multiple Dome Lights with different textures in the scene and control the light and shadow linking between the lights and different objects.
    On the other hand you could use material overrides and override the environment on a per shader basis.
    Can you post a simple example so we can get a better idea of what you're trying to achieve?
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Thanks the response!

Well I have a large stadium which i have taken multiple HDRi's in. The characters in question are Goleam crowd entities. Which as far as rendering goes goleam creates vray render proxies. It doesn't appear that vray proxies show up in the relationship editor though so I don't know that I can link the lights to different sections of the crowd?

Any ideas?

Comment

Light linking should work with proxies, but if your crowd meshes are all in the same proxy file, then I don't think it would be possible to break the links for just some of the objects from that file.
        What exactly are you after? Different objects having different HDRIs for reflections or something like this?
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Ah... could they be doing something to the proxies that makes them not show up in the light linking editor?

I can make multiple proxies for each crowd group in the same scene. But I don't see a way to link lights to these crowd proxies.

What i'd like to be able to do is use my HDRI's for several sections. Say use one in each quarter of the stadium for example. I took them in the stands where the crowd actually is located. So I can't use one hdri for the entire stadium the lighting would only actually work in one area from one hdri.

Comment

If you want different proxies to be lit by different HDRIs then Light linking with multiple lights would be the best approach, I think.
            You can use "Rendering menu set" > Lighting/Shading > Light linking to break the light link between the light and the proxy. Or you can simply select both the light and the proxy and then do Lighting/Shading > Break light links.
            This will work on a per object (per proxy node) basis.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	light_linking.png
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	855794
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

I know what you are saying but see I can't actually select the crowd proxies in the light linking editor. They are the CrowdProxyVray_LowerDeck, CrowdProxyVray_UpperDeck

Name:	relasionship.PNG
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	855798

Father down I can select the materials that are on the crowd it looks like, but not the proxies. It doesn't seem like that would work unless I can select the proxies.

Name:	materials.PNG
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	855799

Comment

I really don't know how crowd nodes behave in light linking. It would be best to ask the guys at Golaem.
                Alex Yolov
                Product Manager
                www.chaos.com

Comment

Alright good thought i'll contact them thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X