using vray rectangle lights properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using vray rectangle lights properly

I scaled the size and shape of a vray rectangle light but my TD is concerned this could cause those lights not to work physically accurately. He thinks I might need to use the U Size and V Size in the attribEditor of the lights 'basic parameters' . Should they be scaled, or use the U and V size or does it not matter?

Thanks,

Funny, I was recently thinking about posting on this exact topic! I read that scaling lights can create a lot of noise, compared to sizing in the light attributes.

Any truth to either of these concerns?

Comment

They should work the same. There were a couple of issues in the past, but they should be fixed.
      V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Things should mostly work fine, but I would still avoid scaling the lights. I know for a fact that non-uniform scale of sphere lights will not work...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Just get in the habit of working with UV parameter and never worry about that. Scaling - I wouldn't recommend it.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
            Just get in the habit of working with UV parameter and never worry about that. Scaling - I wouldn't recommend it.
            I've personally moved to using that method, but was more wondering if it was worth the effort to modify previous projects that get revisited now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by beenyweenies View Post
              I've personally moved to using that method, but was more wondering if it was worth the effort to modify previous projects that get revisited now and then.
              Probably not worth it; things should still work fine.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Alright thanks for the comments, it sounds like my current scenes should be ok.

Comment

While it seems intuitive that non-uniform scaling of spherical lights won't work properly, it might be good to mention that scaling of lights is not recommended/unpredictable in the VRay docs, as I think most people would assume scaling the Rect lights is OK. Just a thought!
                  Last edited by oliver.sullivan; 26-05-2015, 02:24 AM.

Comment

It is ok; I just don't want people to get into that habit

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Working...
                    X