GPU rendering on commandline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU rendering on commandline

I'm exploring the possibilities of utilizing the GPU for commandline rendering.

I see that the -rtEngine option is available for vray standalone, but what about when rendering through Maya's batchrender, can it be done?
    I'm talking about rendering via "Render -r vray .... scene.ma"

Also, if using the -rtEngine option (we would use CUDA), can this be combined with the -distributed option?
    Best Regards,
    Fredrik

Originally posted by Fredrik Averpil View Post
    I see that the -rtEngine option is available for vray standalone, but what about when rendering through Maya's batchrender, can it be done? I'm talking about rendering via "Render -r vray .... scene.ma"
    No, for the moment it is not possible. We will be working on this.

Also, if using the -rtEngine option (we would use CUDA), can this be combined with the -distributed option?
    It should work, yes.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

No, for the moment it is not possible. We will be working on this.
      Allright, that's great news!

It should work, yes.
      Even with progressive?
      Best Regards,
      Fredrik

Comment

Even with progressive?
        Yes. Depending on the scene you might need to tune the rays per pixel/bundle size to get better performance with DR though, especially if the scene renders fast and the slaves generate a lot of data.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

That is really impressive. How come you haven't pushed this feature harder in your marketing?
          Best Regards,
          Fredrik

Comment

That is really impressive. How come you haven't pushed this feature harder in your marketing?
            I don't know; isn't it a very specific use case?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Using it on a daily basis here and thanking the gods of looming deadlines. It works, works fast and is becoming our go-to method.
              I'm with Fredrik on that line of thought. You should definitely hilight the ability, i get the impression many are unaware its possible.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                I don't know; isn't it a very specific use case?

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Well, I'm going to need to run some tests before I know how specific this use case is and exactly how useful RT+DR would be for us... but I'm thinking we could use our nVidia K5200 equipped workstations to create a "GPU farm", which could potentially churn out previz and/or highres packshots quite fast (relative to our CPU based render farm) and leave our regular farm available for animation/final rendering jobs.

I don't know if these numbers are right but someone said those K5200s could theoretically be 14 times the speed of one of our regular render farm blades on a single product image... (seems quite exaggerated to me though and extremely loosely based on whatever)
                Best Regards,
                Fredrik

Comment

If you are rendering animations, why don't you do regular frame by frame rendering?

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

If you are rendering animations, why don't you do regular frame by frame rendering?
                    We do - we wouldn't use GPU/DR rendering for that.

What I mean is that GPU rendering is considered to render certain scenes much faster than traditional CPU rendering. So if you take 10 machines and tuck a good GPU inside of it, it could compare to 15 or 20 (or more?) regular CPU based render nodes. But for stills, you'd have a little bit of a problem (perhaps) to combine the power of those machines when rendering just one single image since the GPUs are not in the same box. But using RT+DR you could probably combine the power of these 5 GPUs and get quite nice render times, I presume?
                    Best Regards,
                    Fredrik

Comment

OK, yes that's true, for still images DR is the only way.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Working...
                      X