V-ray for maya lagging behind v-ray for 3dmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray for maya lagging behind v-ray for 3dmax

Just got an email notification that v-ray 3.2 for 3dmax is available: checking on the official updates I see that previous to this version a 3.1 came out in December of last year, while v-ray for maya is still stuck at 3.0 (I'm not considering nightlies here)...
    I can't help but feel that v-ray for maya is a lower priority for chaos (obviously), which in turn is pushing people away from the platform, which is a shame...
    Anyone care to chime in? And hopefully prove me wrong?

Cheers,
    Giancarlo

I am not really familiar will all that, but at least I can share my personal view on how the stuff are going in RT GPU.
    It is true that the Maya releases are happening after those for Max. However, major features for RT GPU like the separate kernel compilation (and many others) came first in V-Ray for Maya 3.0, since it was released in the winter (if I remember correctly), some months before 3.1 for Max. During that time, the GPU render in Maya was more advanced since it had nearly everything that 3.1 had, but earlier.
    Now there are more stuff for the GPU in the Max version, but when 3.1 for Maya is released it will be again the other way around (and RT GPU in V-Ray For Maya 3.1 will be a bit more advanced than RT GPU in V-Ray For ads Max 3.2, you can just ignore those version numbers).
    And in 3.1 for Maya there will be as much (or more) Maya specific new features in RT GPU, as there were for Max.
    I think more or less, this applies to everything (not just RT GPU).
    Last edited by savage309; 09-06-2015, 12:32 PM.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Thanks for sharing that!
      I gather from your response that there is no parity of versions between 3dmax and maya: is that right?
      What about the core (which is what I care the most)?

G

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
      I am not really familiar will all that, but at least I can share my personal view on how the stuff are going in RT GPU.
      It is true that the Maya releases are happening after those for Max. However, major features for RT GPU like the separate kernel compilation (and many others) came first in V-Ray for Maya 3.0, since it was released in the winter (if I remember correctly), some months before 3.1 for Max. During that time, the GPU render in Maya was more advanced since it had nearly everything that 3.1 had, but earlier.
      Now there are more stuff for the GPU in the Max version, but when 3.1 for Maya is released it will be again the other way around (and RT GPU in V-Ray For Maya 3.1 will be a bit more advanced than RT GPU in V-Ray For ads Max 3.2, you can just ignore those version numbers).
      And in 3.1 for Maya there will be as much (or more) Maya specific new features in RT GPU, as there were for Max.
      I think more or less, this applies to everything (not just RT GPU).

Comment

There was a tonne of features that're really handy for VFX in vray for maya long before they got into max too. Since they're different programs, there's sometimes existing features in the app that makes it easier to get a feature in maya for example, but it might be a bit more tricky to figure out how to make it work the same way in max. Swings and roundabouts!

Comment

plus you have to remember, vray was initially developed for Max, as an internal plugin. and stayed that way for many years. . the vray standalone project (upon which vray for maya is based) was an offshoot of that. i guess to some extent the version for maya has been playing catchup since it was launched, hence the lower version numbers.
          as pointed out however, there are quite a few features that end up in the maya version long before max, particularly since i imagine some rather large companies who now use vray on maya are making specific requests.

these eventually find their way over to max if they are asked for, or if its an easy port.

i can only say there would be blood spilled all over the forum if the maya version number ever went ahead of the max one
          Last edited by super gnu; 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't read too much from the version numbers; they are consecutive, but they don't necessarily mean anything regarding features. For example, V-Ray 3.0 for Maya had features before they went into V-Ray for 3ds Max 3.1 later on and into V-Ray for 3ds Max 3.2 even later on (f.e. the VRayVolumeGrid first appeared in 3.0 for Maya and then in 3.2 for Max; the GGX BRDF first appeared in V-Ray 3.0 for Maya before making its way to V-Ray 3.1 for 3ds Max; and so on). It's too big of an effort for us to release versions of everything at the same time with exactly the same features and exact same version numbers. Overall both products are more or less in sync, and the core is the same, but there are some features that are specific to just one application (f.e. V-Ray for Maya can bake to Ptex, UDIMs, vertex colors, and can do texture baking of displacement and subdivision surfaces, viewport RT, automatically generate shading nodes from V-Ray plugins and many more features specific to Maya none of which are possible in V-Ray for 3ds Max).

Keep in mind that V-Ray for Maya also has three OSes to support, plus we need to take care of things like X-Gen, Bifrost, new hypershade APIs for Maya 2016 and whatnot.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
              i can only say there would be blood spilled all over the forum if the maya version number ever went ahead of the max one
              God forbid that!

G

Comment

Working...
              X