No announcement yet.

shadow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another setup using the secondary matte environment.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Attached Files
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Oh nice. Looks like it does what im asking for ye. I thought it had to be an image as a "dome" at first. Nice.
      Im not sure I understand what the secondary matte does however? Are they specific for reflections?
      CG Artist - RnD and CG Supervision at Industriromantik

Comment

Originally posted by Algehov View Post
        Im not sure I understand what the secondary matte does however? Are they specific for reflections?
        It tells V-Ray what background texture to use on matte objects with "matte for secondary rays" enabled and which are visible in reflections/refractions. This may be an environment-mapped texture (like spherical environment), but it can also be a regular texture mapped to the UV space of the object, or a projection texture using some other kind of projection mapping.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          It tells V-Ray what background texture to use on matte objects with "matte for secondary rays" enabled and which are visible in reflections/refractions. This may be an environment-mapped texture (like spherical environment), but it can also be a regular texture mapped to the UV space of the object, or a projection texture using some other kind of projection mapping.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I see. That sounds really nice. Looking forwards to a nightly with it. (Not in the need of that immediately, so I dont have to take the python callback approach).

Comment

sorry I'm just getting back.

Yolovs suggestion worked great for me thank you!

Also really looking forward to the secondary matte option!

Thanks everyone so much

Comment

The secondary matte env override is in the nightlies already (and the SP1)
              V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Awesome!
                Still no ETA on the SP1? (except "soon" )

Cheers

Comment

We are almost done. Should be a few weeks to prepare the final release.
                  V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Sweet!

Silly question but, where can I download these nightly builds?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by emartin8907 View Post
                      Sweet!

Silly question but, where can I download these nightly builds?

Thanks!
                      If you need access to those builds, please send a request to our support department : support@chaosgroup.com
                      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

You can map anything to it, not just the projected background, by adding V-Ray material override attributes to its shading group and then you can use any kind of map in its "environment" slot.
                        I'm trying to plug a standard maya projection into the environment override slot of a material wrappers shading group and I can't get it working. Using a clean maya scene (or any of my test scenarios) I keep getting an error (// Error: file: C:/MF_Programs/Autodesk/Maya2016/vray/scripts/vrayCreateGlobalsTab.mel line 1706: No object matches name: place3dTexture1.outUV), when I try to connect the projection into the environment override slot. If I use vlados test scene ("matte_shadow.ma") the exact same thing magically doesn't produce this error. However in both cases, it's not producing the expected result when rendered.

What I'm trying to achieve is basically what the material wrapper's "Matte for all secondary rays: With Projection Mapping" option does, but with better control of the projection placement itself. Is there a way to achieve that?

It's getting late now, maybe I miss something..
                        www.hdr-sets.com

Comment

You might have more luck with the "secondary matte" background slot in the nightly builds. But other than that, can you get me more specific steps to reproduce the issue? I have no problem to drag a Projection node to the environment override of a shading group.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado,

You're right, the projection is working like expected when connected to the environment override (globally as reflection environment or as shadingGroup specific environment override). I'm still getting the error message, but it actually works. I was trying too many things at the same time.

The problem seems to be related to image planes. As soon as I plug an image into an image plane, the "manually" projected environment, which is visible in my test objects reflection, get's replaced by some kind of default environment mapping. It's still the same reflection map, but the previously working projection has no effect anymore. As soon as I set the image plane's display mode to "none", the projection works again like expected.

I'd be happy, if I was able to get the same positioning for a spherical projection with the materials wrapper "with projection Mapping" setting, but the projection placement is kind of hard to control. It's also a bit unexpected, that when usually the reflection environment is pulled from the global reflection environment (in "without projection mapping" mode), it then in contrast to that is pulled from the background environment once "with projection mapping" is set.

Would be perfect, if the image planes would just respect the manual projection setup for the reflection environment.

Should I prepare a test scenario to demonstrate the issue?

Thanks and best regards,
                            Manuel
                            www.hdr-sets.com

Comment

It would be better to prepare a scene to demonstrate the issue you are facing.
                              Thank you very much in advance.
                              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                              X