Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray 3.2 maya 2016 official releasedate

Hi,
    I just wanted to ask again (sorry ^^) about the release date.
    The nightlies are just perfect BUT the other plugins in the chain (e.g. vray scatter for maya, the mattepainting toolkit etc.) have to wait for the official release.

so please, please tell us about your plans
    we already migrated everything else to maya 16 and i don't want to jump back ...

br mayanic

Yeah this is getting utterly ridiculous. To be honest, I kind of thought that Chaos Group would be getting developer betas of Maya long before each release and building to those, with some tweaks needed after the official Maya release. I would expect any software developer to do this, so as not to create roadblocks for their customers that create poor relations.

By the way, this is NOT "complaining." In my experience, when other major software is updated (such as After Effects, etc), even the tiny plugin vendors with $50 plugins have compatible builds within a day or two. I'm just baffled, and maybe a bit concerned. Customers have every right to expect a certain level of service, or at least communication as to why that level of service is not being met.

Comment

well - i wouldn't criticize vlado and the guys too much
      we work with so many applications and tons of plugins and i have to admit that chaosgroup is by far the most caring!!!

i just wanted to know if we should stay on maya 2016 or go back to 14?

Comment

2016 is so and VRayMaya 2.50.L30 should be released as soon as possible.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
        oakcorp.net
        v-ray.jp

Comment

You can get builds for Maya 2016 if you send an email to support@chaosgroup.com

V-Ray is a complex plugin and Maya 2016 introduced some things (the new hypershade, Bifrost) that required way more work than a simple recompile.

The Maya beta builds were updated right up to the last minute; even the official release broke things that were working in the beta.

I know that it is frustrating, and it has been for us as well, but we are doing everything that we can to get the release out. The builds are mostly done, so hopefully it will happen later this week or the beginning of the next.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Last edited by vlado; 13-07-2015, 12:20 AM.
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by mayanic View Post
            well - i wouldn't criticize vlado and the guys too much
            we work with so many applications and tons of plugins and i have to admit that chaosgroup is by far the most caring!!!
            I'm not criticizing Chaos Group's overall customer care. I think everyone would agree they do a FANTASTIC job of answering user questions and tackling bugs.

Proactively acknowledging the delay by posting weekly updates would have gone a long way toward easing frustrations, but the only updates have come when people post a rant. So, rants are going to get posted.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              You can get builds for Maya 2016 if you send an email to support@chaosgroup.com

V-Ray is a complex plugin and Maya 2016 introduced some things (the new hypershade, Bifrost) that required way more work than a simple recompile.
              Thanks for the update, Vlado!

Unfortunately, builds are only useful for some aspects of testing (and have no place in actual production). In order to adequately test Vray for 2016, all software in the production chain needs to support it, including things like render farms. Until they all receive an official Vray release, test it, implement it and roll it out (which might take weeks), we're unable to do much of anything. When you say we're one week away, that actually means more like 2-4 weeks.

Again, I know you guys are working hard, and I understand how complex these things are, especially since 2016 changed so much. Like I said above, weekly updates would have gone a long way, as compared to saying nothing until someone posts a rant on your forums. I keep getting marketing emails about releases for 3DS Max, Rhino etc. but not even a tiny update on what's happening with the much delayed Maya version, and that creates unnecessary frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by beenyweenies View Post
                Proactively acknowledging the delay by posting weekly updates would have gone a long way toward easing frustrations, but the only updates have come when people post a rant. So, rants are going to get posted.
                I don't know, wouldn't it be a bit weird? I mean, what would we put in those updates? "Sorry, not done yet..."

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  I don't know, wouldn't it be a bit weird? I mean, what would we put in those updates? "Sorry, not done yet..."

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Haha that's a fair point. I will say this - in some of the updates that HAVE been posted, you and others mentioned specific things like bifrost having this particular issue, or how Linux was giving you grief. Those updates let us know what's going on, and it's better than just seeing all these other updates coming out (Rhino, work on the Vray Cloud thing, etc.) and feeling like those things are distracting Chaos Group from releasing for Maya.

Comment

Originally posted by beenyweenies View Post
                    it's better than just seeing all these other updates coming out (Rhino, work on the Vray Cloud thing, etc.) and feeling like those things are distracting Chaos Group from releasing for Maya.
                    We do have a dedicated team of developers and QA guys who work on nothing else but V-Ray for Maya. There are distractions along the way for sure - like some customer needing an urgent fix for a project or something - but V-Ray for Rhino, the cloud stuff - those other activities are irrelevant to the Maya release.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Working...
                    X