Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use latlong images as projections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use latlong images as projections?

Hi, probably thats not a 100% vray question, but I have some latlong maps (2:1 ratio ) that i want to model some geometry out of it, and also use it as a texture,
    So I can do some integration into does latlong images ( rendering the output using the Spherical Panoramas camera from v-ray )

But the main question is just, how to use a latlong map as project texture, so i can model my environments based on that latlong map.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 11.54.39 am.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	882511

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 11.55.13 am.jpg
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	882512

Name:	Precomp.jpg
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	882513
    Johnny Grilo
    http://www.square-zero-one.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/squarezeroone

It's all a fake really - You try and guess how high up the camera was when the panorama was shot, then place a spherical mapping gizmo at this height inside of a box. From there it's a case of lining up edges by sliding them along the map and extruding backwards. You can try and make some good guesses about sizes from the picture itself - like a door might be about 240cm high for example, so you can make a 240 cm door and slide it back from your mapping gizmo until the size of it lines up with your map. This might help for maya since you can have live projections that your geometry slides around under - http://www.glyphfx.com/

Edit - Sorry, lets do this better.

So for this exact thing, have you got access to where the image was shot? What I'd do first is make a really wide plane and put a spherical mapping gizmo on it - I remember maya being a pain in the ass to get a gizmo where you can handily grab the centre of the mapping and move it. Looking at your image if you look for horizontal lines, this is the height the camera was at - every other line has the fisheye warp on it. Your red brick building on the right has a horizontal line of bricks 12 bricks up fro the ground, this is how high your camera was - if you measure the wall to this height or just make a good guess at how tall your average red brick is, multiply that by 12 and that's the height to move your spherical mapping gizmo up by - it should now be in the right place for the floor. If you look at your mapped plane from above, you should have the floor correct and where the two walls start from, it'll then start to smear badly since the floor is projecting properly on to your ground plane. Rotate the spherical gizmo so the base of the two walls are running parallel with the edges of your plane for convenience. The base of the walls should be in the right place from your projection since it's the ground in the photo being projected onto the ground in your 3d scene. If you now make an edge on your plane and slide it to where each wall starts, you'll have a place where you can extrude up from. Drag an edge up to make a vertical poly for your left and right buildings - they should start to look a bit more normal now since the projection is now working on surfaces that are closer to what was shot. Keep dragging up on each side so your top edge lines up with the top of each building. Now you can start to adjust the width of each of your vertical polys until they correctly fit the width of each building - again sliding the edges with the spherical mapping live until they lie in the right place - For this part it's crucial that you'd rotated your projection correctly so the base of each wall was parallel to your plane - you're just sliding edges til they fit in place. Once you've got your two vertical planes with the buildings as the right "volume" it's not just a case of using the image as a tracing guide - you just insert and slide more edge loops along until they're in the right place. I'd do them for all the insets for the shutters and door / window frame of the left building and likewise for the upper story windows. Once you've the edges in place, you just extrude back until the depth of the extrude matches where the edges sit in the photo.

Hopefully that helps!
    Last edited by joconnell; 20-07-2015, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joa_grilo View Post
      Hi, probably thats not a 100% vray question, but I have some latlong maps (2:1 ratio ) that i want to model some geometry out of it, and also use it as a texture,
      So I can do some integration into does latlong images ( rendering the output using the Spherical Panoramas camera from v-ray )

But the main question is just, how to use a latlong map as project texture, so i can model my environments based on that latlong map.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]25165[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]25166[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25167[/ATTACH]
      Hypershade ---> right click on file texture node ---> 3d projection.
      On the projection node, use perspective, choose your camera.
      On the camera, add an attribute to get your deformation (spherical) and voila.
      www.deex.info

Comment

Thanks guys,
        with your ideas I got it to work like this.
        Using projection but just spherical ( not linking the camera to perspective projection method )
        The trick is getting the center of the projection higher than the floor level so you can see the floor projected.

Thank you once againClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 12.35.37 pm.png
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	857917
        Johnny Grilo
        http://www.square-zero-one.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/squarezeroone

Comment

Working...
        X