Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crater 3D Texture

Hi,

I was recently following a tutorial for making a realistic soap bubble in Maya.

The tut was in Mental Ray, so when I came to try and rebuild using Vray I came unstuck.

The main issue is that Vray doesn't render the native Crater 3D texture, and I can't find anything that replicates it closely enough to get the result I want.

Does anyone know of any plugins that could achieve this look, or does anyone know of a workaround inside Vray?

Here's a link to the tutorial for reference of what I'm trying to achieve (05:55):

https://vimeo.com/55427809

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Adding support for Crater Maya texture is planned and already part of our "to do" list. Until we have this implementation accomplished you can bake the map using Maya software renderer and reuse it later in V-Ray as a file node.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes!

Good idea, thanks!

Comment

Sorry, tashko.zashev - I've had a good search on this topic and can't find what I need.

I've got as far as baking a static texture from the crater shader, but can't get an image sequence.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Comment

Yes you are right, for animated texture this is not an option. Since the only approach is to have it supported I will try to rise up the priority of this task and I hope to be able to make it part of the next update.

Update: there seems to be an option to do this by MEL scripting.
          Last edited by tashko.zashev; 14-10-2015, 07:32 AM.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

You might also want to checkout the iridescent OSL texture which would be great for soap bubbles

Comment

Working...
            X