Vray Mtl- newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Mtl- newbie question

When I import an OBJ with multiple surface textures into Maya, each texture is assigned a Phong material. How do I convert all of the Phongs simultaneously into Vray mtl without the material losing it's connection to the texture ? Currently I'm having to select each Phong individually and convert it to Vray mtl in attribute editor but the process is very slow when there are a lot of different textures.

This is a different situation to selecting several different surfaces and assigning them all the same material that I know how to do. The attribute spreadsheet does not seem to contain the material type of each object or surface to facilitate the above.

Thanks for addressing this newbie question

Raj

We don't have a converter tool for this and you may have to recreate them manually or use a custom script.
    I found an old thread where this has been discussed :
    http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...=convert+phong
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks- unfortunately that script did not work for me on Maya 2016 OSx.
      I am a little confused because upon import one can go to the material attribute editor and there is a dropdown menu that allows a Phong to be converted to VrayMtl or any other type of material.
      Whatever command is being used for the conversion cannot be applied to multiple phongs at the same time ? I'm new to Maya but would have expected this to be a standard feature ?

Comment

Material conversion is not a Standard feature especially in Maya.
        The following script also provide that feature, I've just run a quick test on windows and I managed to convert Lambert and Phong materials to V-Ray material.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/sc...tuner-for-maya
        Select a material and then in the material menu, select V-Ray/Maya Material Swapper.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
        X