Normal Map Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal Map Format

what's the normal map format vray form maya uses? directx or opengl? and how to flip it if needed. i couldnt find anything about that in documentation.

The difference between both formats is in +/- Y axis and the easiest way to switch from one to another is to open the file in appropriate external application and just flip the Y axis.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Photoshop has a plug-in from Nvidia that can create normal maps. I think this would be your best choice, since you won't be creating additional nodes.

Another approach would be to create a shading network that outputs (R, (1-G), B) instead of (R,G,B). We have a Maya 2016.5 scene demonstrating this.

normal_map_flipy.zip
      Last edited by Mihail.Djurev; 23-06-2016, 05:27 AM.
      V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Originally posted by Mihail.Djurev View Post
        Photoshop has a plug-in from Nvidia that can create normal maps. I think this would be your best choice, since you won't be creating additional nodes.

Another approach would be to create a shading network that outputs (R, (1-G), B) instead of (R,G,B). We have a Maya 2016.5 scene demonstrating this.

[ATTACH]30981[/ATTACH]
        actually my problem is about one side of wall is looks correct, catches light from correct location but other side of the wall is totally inverted. i noticed that same textures looks correct both sides in unreal but not in vray and maya. it can be tangent calculation issue? because uv of the wall is looks like one side of the wall mirrored along Y axis but its not flipped uv shell and looks correct in ue4. the very same normal map texture.

Comment

still waiting answer

Comment

It's doable. We'll have to look into it more carefully to find the best solution and not break compatibility with old scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by alperenozgur View Post
              actually my problem is about one side of wall is looks correct, catches light from correct location but other side of the wall is totally inverted. i noticed that same textures looks correct both sides in unreal but not in vray and maya. it can be tangent calculation issue? because uv of the wall is looks like one side of the wall mirrored along Y axis but its not flipped uv shell and looks correct in ue4. the very same normal map texture.
              Would it be possible to send us that scene for investigation?
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

It seems that there's an option that does that. It is in Overrides>Textures> "Un-inverted normal map".

Comment

Working...
                X