Cubemap 6x1 rendering issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubemap 6x1 rendering issues

I have a particularly heavy interior scene I am trying to render as a 6x1 cubemap but Maya crashes on the embree build. I've been able to create cubemaps successfully in the past and I'm guessing it's the high poly count.

I was able to render out 9216 x 1536 without any issues but as soon as I check 'adjust resolution' to make it stereo (and doubling the resolution) it fails. Is there any work around to this? Possibly rendering out each 'eye' separately?

I'm in a bit of a time crunch for a client and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If it crashes at the embree stage, you can try disabling embree (settings > system).
    Although that might slightly change the appearance of the scene, depending on whether there's hair or fur in it (for example) among other stuff.
    You could also try rendering the eyes separately.
    Alternatively, if it is a ram issue (although maya should not carsh) you can try writing the file to multichannel exr directly to the hard drive, by setting the memory frame buffer to "none" (common tab > render view).
    Or you can try increasing the dynamic memory limit (settings > system).
    Or any (combination) of the above.

In any case, it's hard to tell what the problem is without the scene, so if it is possible, we'd like to have it sent over and investigate the issue and potentially fix any bugs that might be causing this.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Can I send my project file to you directly? I'd rather not post it on the forums.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Comment

You can send it to alexander.yolov@chaosgroup.com
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi Alex,

Just wanted to check in and see if you received my email last week and had any luck with rendering a full resolution cubemap.
          Thanks!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. From the looks of it, the error you're getting is the equivalent of the OS killing the process because there is not enough memory to allocate for building the embree structures.
            I've narrowed it down to the viewport subdivisions. You can lower the max subdivs of the default displacement and subdivision and it should allow you to render (render settings > Settings tab).
            If however lowering the subdivs is not an option for you, try disabling embree at the cost of slower rendering.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Lowering the subdivs did the trick, when I created my preset for stereo I forgot to drop the value (usually keep it around 16). Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X