Surface Luminance half working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Luminance half working

I want to achieve the typical look of rim lighting on cloth in the V-Ray Mtl Self Illum channel but only affected where the surface is receiving direct lighting. I used to do this occasionally with Maya Surface Luminance node and other renderers, but this is the first time trying in V-Ray. I added a Surface Luminance node to my shading network piped through a few nodes and into the Self Illum channel. This is giving me the desired result but strangely it is blowing out the V-Ray Lighting RE, of all things. Self-Illum pass and other passes look good, just the Lighting pass is bad.

My shader looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	basic_surf_lum_shd.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	885584

Any ideas on how to get this to work without blowing out the Lighting pass? Or is there a V-Ray equivalent to Maya's Surface Luminance that will do this?

Thanks!

-Brian

Well, the more simple approach I realized was to just put a simple vray fresnel into diffuse, rather than trying to fake it with self illum.

Comment

It's because V-Ray calculates the lighting twice on the surface and they both add up in the lighting render element. I vaguely remember that we fixed this at some point, but maybe it was just reported. We'll fix it, but if you can avoid the surfaceLuminance node altogether, it would be best.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
      X