Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bifrost foam material

Is this fully supported past Vray 3.4?
    Artist is using bifrost with Maya 2016.5 and is having trouble using the material that comes with the foam.
    Sadly it seems to be working in mental ray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bifrost_foam.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	887003

Specifically the Weight & Color Remap Channel and changing that to Velocity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	foam.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	866691

Comment

That's a bit odd, I thought it should work. Can you share a scene, please?
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

Uploaded a scene and emailed support 'bifrost foam material'

Comment

I replied to your email, but here's the info again in case someone else finds it useful:

We only have initial support for the foam shader.
          As for the liquid shader foam remap - it should work with 3.4, at least it does in my tests.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Does Bifrost Foam work with V-Ray 5?

I can't seem to get it to render at all... I've tried rendering it directly with the bifrost foam material, I've tried ticking on Export Particles in the Extra Vray Attributes under the foamShape1 node then placing this foam1 node under the vrayMetaballPartSysP_Set1 and rendering it with the Vray Metaball, but nothing will make those foam particles appear. Could we get a decent tutorial or guide? There doesn't seem to be anything on YouTube or in the vray documentation.

Comment

In the latest V-Ray 5, update 2.2 (hotfix 2) we've added support for the new bifrost graph that works with USD.
              There haven't been any advancements in direct rendering of Bifrost. What changed is that Bifrost 2.4.0.0 onwards can transform data to USD and it can be passed to V-Ray. Some things won't work, as they're not supported, but anything that can be turned to a mesh should work. There hasn't been any progress on better support for Bifrost materials.

Hope that helps.
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                In the latest V-Ray 5, update 2.2 (hotfix 2) we've added support for the new bifrost graph that works with USD.
                There haven't been any advancements in direct rendering of Bifrost. What changed is that Bifrost 2.4.0.0 onwards can transform data to USD and it can be passed to V-Ray. Some things won't work, as they're not supported, but anything that can be turned to a mesh should work. There hasn't been any progress on better support for Bifrost materials.

Hope that helps.
                I'll take that as a no then.
                The newer Bifrost graph isn't used to generate liquids or foam (as far as I know, anyway). I just couldn't figure out a way to make V-Ray work with Bifrost Liquid's foam at all... Shame to hear that it's not being developed either.

Comment

Well, I was only able to export foam to .abc. You can find tutorials about this on youtube. And then you can use phx foam shader or vray point shader.
                  I just can't seem to trust myself
                  So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                  ---------------------------------------------------------
                  CG Artist

Comment

Working...
                  X