VRayVertexColors -> VRayUserColor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayVertexColors -> VRayUserColor

I have a set-up using VRayVertexColors to shade Maya meshes according to color sets applied to them. It works, but whenever the VRayVertexColors node is connected to the shading network IPR behaves erratically (it won't stop redrawing).

The docs for VRayVertexColors say its a legacy node and VRayUserColor should be used instead, but I've read the docs for that node over and over and I haven't a clue how to get it to work. I've tried the obvious thing of typing the color set name into the 'User attribute name' field, but it doesn't work - the default colour is returned.

Any clues?

Can you post an example of your setup with the VRayUserColor just to check if there is something wrong with it?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Having the same issue, was this resolved? I can see that the original vertex color isnt supported in GPU. Whats the user attribute name for vertex color? Presumably I can render vertex color in GPU mode, can anyone help me with the workflow as the doc isnt that helpful.

Cheers
      Last edited by francomanko; 13-12-2020, 04:18 PM.
      e: info@adriandenne.com
      w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

I would recommend using userColor over vertexColors.
        userColor has a single string field where you simply need to enter the color set name or the attribute name that you want to get.

For color sets - you'll need the color set name of the mesh(es), you can get it from the color set editor with the mesh selected.
        For custom color attributes - those can be defined on the mesh with extra V-Ray attributes (V-Ray User Attributes) like attrName=R,G,B (for example myColor=1,0,0), then entering "myColor" (without the quotes) in the userColor texture as a string will read a red color in this example.

In both cases, the userColor texture needs to be connected to a shader that is assigned to the mesh(es) that have the color sets or attributes.
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

yeah all good, working fine, thanks for the help
          e: info@adriandenne.com
          w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Working...
          X