Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cryptomatte in After Effects!!

Hi everyone

Brendan Bolles from Fnord Software - who've made the ProEXR plugin for PS and AE just released a new version with support for Cryptomatte in AE..

I've tried to render a cryptomatte pass out - from the VFB is obviously doing something making 2-3 crypto passes that combining them afterwards. But when i try to use the layers in After Effects i only get a regular RGBA pass with no masking options.

Have anyone else tried it out? Getting this to work will be a huge time saver

Cheers!

Only OpenEXR files written as the normal render output will work. Files saved directly from the VFB are currently missing some Cryptomatte metadata.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah i found out pretty quick - but still with files generated as normal render output i get the above mentioned error

Comment

Did you get it to work? It might help to run "Create ProEXR Layer Comps" on your EXR footage in After Effects.

Comment

Hey,
          Seems to be working correctly on our side with the latest version of the After Effects and the latest beta of Cryptomatte.
          Just put the plugin aex. files in your Effects folder, load the image (make sure it's not saved from the VFB), add your file to a Comp in After Effects, add the Cryptomatte effect and while the effect is selected, select the desired object.
          Georgi Zhekov
          Phoenix Product Manager
          Chaos

Comment

I'm a max user, but I was wondering if there is a way to save an image with the cryptomatte if rendering was cancelled? Using the progressive rendering I tend to cancel before set time or noise level and then save out from the VfB...
            Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
            www.AddYourLight.com
            Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Btw, where can I find a download for the cryptomatte update for ae?
              official website's version isn't really fresh...
              Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

You can find the link for the files here - https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte...5ad639e8645668
                Georgi Zhekov
                Phoenix Product Manager
                Chaos

Comment

Great stuff! I've been waiting for this to become available for After Effects.

Comment

thanks for the info..!
                    https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                    Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

hello,
                      if i have set up 3 different cryptomattes in one exr rendering, one for layer, one for material and one for object, how can i choose the one i want in the cryptomatte effect in after effects ?

thanks for help
                      thomes

Comment

Did you name the elements differently? If not they overwrite each other
                        www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

yes,they are also shown seperately when i click on "create PRO_EXR layer comps" one for each cryptomatte. but how can i select them in the effect "cryptomatte" do i have to write manually in the "layer" "selection" manifest" parts? by default it seems the nodename cryptomatte is used
                          Last edited by thomes; 28-06-2018, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thomes View Post
                            yes,they are also shown seperately when i click on "create PRO_EXR layer comps" one for each cryptomatte. but how can i select them in the effect "cryptomatte" do i have to write manually in the "layer" "selection" manifest" parts? by default it seems the nodename cryptomatte is used
                            When you have the Cryptomatte effect selected you should be able to click in the comp view and the objects you click on will be entered in the selection. Hold down shift to add to you selection, option/alt to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by thomes View Post
                              Exactly the same question here. If it wasnt for ProEXR layer comps I would never know the "manifest" and "selection" part ( the "layer" is just a channel name ). Is cryptomatte designed to work only in conjunction with ProEXR?

Comment

Working...
                              X