Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overscan is ignored when rendering in on renderfarm / BatchMode

Hey everybody,

got a strange problem. It seems that the Overscan parameter (from the override section of the render settings) is not translated when I submit my renderjob to our renderfarm. When using Distributed Rendering, the result is even stranger. It won't render overscan on the buckets rendered on the network nodes. Every bucket rendered on the local machine comes out as expected. Even when I batchrender the scene locally V-Ray seems to ignore the parameter.

The problem is not scene dependend. To test I made a new scene with just a sphere, but still no overscan. Could it be a bug?

The V-Ray version running on the renderfarm matches exactly. So no problem there.

Here an example:

- imported asset
    - add Domelight
    - set overscan
    - turn on Distributed Rendering
    - hit render

Comment

its been fixed not so long ago, what vray version are you on?
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It's V-Ray 3.60.04 on Maya 2018.3

Comment

After some research I got some new information.

Normaly I check my sequence in RoyalRenderView or djv. Both showed me the image resolution that I set in the common tab of the render settings without the additional pixels of the overscan resolution. This time I checked in Nuke and saw that the bounding box extends over the edges of my picture frame. After I applied a reformat node, set it to the overscan resolution and set the resize type to "none" I saw the whole image. So VRay is rendering all the Pixels as expected in batch mode. I guess the meta information of the exr files is not set to the overscan resolution. That's actually not a bad thing, because the image looks exactly like the image without overscan. But if you don't know this, you go on a ghost hunt for a problem that doesn't exists. If this behavior is intended it should be mentioned in the manual.

The Distributed rendering problem on the other hand still is there. I guess the root of the Bucket errors is the same. I bet that the data transfered from the DR Node back to the Vray Frame Buffer is displayed differently than the buckets that are rendered on the local machine. Later I will test what happens when I turn off "use local machine" as soon as there are free nodes on our RF.^^

greetz
          Ben

Comment

Done the test. Here the results:
            - All the same scene
            - base resolution @500x500px
            - overscan set to 50px Equal margin on all sides
            - all output images got the same resolution of 600x600

Pic2: rendert in DR mode with "use local machine turned off

Pic1: rendered local

Pic2: rendert in DR mode with "use local machine turned off

Pic3: rendert in DR Mode with "use local machine" on

Pic 3 is a freakshow to watch render, because it looks like the local machine and the DR slave are fighting for every pixels available. ^^

Comment

This was indeed fixed, only the fix is included with V-Ray Next
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
              www.chaos.com

Comment

The overscan unit set to % doesn't seem to work. The value is doubled at render time.

i.e. i want 360x480 to become 528x396 or 10% increase. Entering 10% in the Overscan actually gives 20% increase. (using 'equal margin on all sides' mode)

Using VRay Next update 1.1

Comment

hmm...reloaded the file and it works as expected. I definitely was not imagining things.

Also doesnt work off the bat with Maya batch render. After some fiddling i manage to get it working by adjusting the camera scale and resolution accordingly and setting the viewport to 'overscan' on the camera settings. This gives correct output in both IPR and batch render.
                  Last edited by Pallaris; 23-10-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X