Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird "spot" / circle with rectangular lights

Hi,

Something I've noticed in the past, which just came up again and I managed to reproduce. When I have 2 rect lights and start IPR they seem to form a strange "spot" like circle (in the GI ?) and the area outside that circle takes considerable amount of time to render clean. When I set it to bucket rendering it renders clean but it is visible in the gi proccess before the final calculation. As for the IPR it is always there and it is really slow.
    Before I found a solution with changing the light cut-off threshold to something different but with the latest updates that doesn't seem to fix it anymore.

I am attaching a simple scene using V-Ray Next update 1 4.12.01.00001

P.S.
    We just went back to V-Ray 4.04 to test it and it was rendering fine without problems and a lot faster.

Thank you,
    Jordan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by savoff; 30-05-2019, 07:15 AM.

This should not affect the final rendering; during IPR V-Ray uses a faster but somewhat less precise method for selecting important light sources. It clears up after a couple of passes through the image. This method helps a lot if you have more than a few light sources in the scene. I expect that we will be able to make it better in an update.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 30-05-2019, 12:44 PM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The problem here is that, as a look dev artist, I tend to rely a lot on IPR and I now have to wait a lot more for that area to clear up compared to the previous version of V-Ray. And even after a few passes one can still distinguish that circle area. It gets worse in cases where I have my main subject/character out of that area as it takes forever to get rid of the noise.
      May be if the current way of work benefits certain scenarios it would probably be useful to have an option to turn it on or off when I have fewer lights in a scene.

Just for the test we tried to set the Light evaluation to Full instead of Adaptive and that does get rid of the circle, but does not make the render time any different (again compared to the older version).

Here's a scene that more or less represents our way of work and better depicts our issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12na...ew?usp=sharing

​​​​​​
      Attached Files

Comment

The feeling is similar to rendering with IPR and "follow mouse" feature turned on. The rest of the image just doesn't clear up when having a bit more complex scene. In fact in the begining I tought that was the problem, but alas, it is not.
        Last edited by savoff; 04-06-2019, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Point taken, we're looking into ways of improving this.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Just a note that we've added a fix that will be included in an upcoming release, so you'll be able to use it.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Great news! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X