Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interfering opacity

Hello,

First of all, the following example is a simplified version of a real project. The opacity map will be more complex and controlled by other geometry through a VRayDistanceTex.

I have a setup where I’ve cut an object in half by applying a clipping map to two copies of the same object. Please have a look at the images.

Image 1:
    Top: Here’s the setup with two boxes, both cut in half with an opacity map.
    Bottom: The problem. When the objects are moved together the transparent surfaces on one object interfere with the opaque surfaces of the other, and vice versa. I realise this is due to overlapping geometry.
    However, please have a look at image 2, showing the same setup in Arnold.

Image 2:
    The same setup but rendered with Arnold. This is to show that other renderers deal with this differently. I understand there would be a problem with opaque and semi-transparent surfaces interfering with each other, but with full transparency using a opacity map, I would expect it to work like it does with Arnold.

I would like to do this with VRay though, because Arnold is lacking a lot of nice features that VRay has. And I like VRay.
    Is there someway to make a object's material invisible like in the Arnold example?

You can try increasing the "secondary rays bias" parameter to some small value like 0.001 and see if it helps.

It's best to avoid overlapping geometry though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

You can achieve a similar effect with a single object and a VRaySwitchMtl, where an opaque and a transparent shader are plugged with the switch being a ramp texture. Not sure if it will work in your particular project, but it's worth a mention.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi vlado ,

Thanks for your reply and the suggestion. I tried the method and it gave me a different result, however it didn't solve the issue. The transparent parts still interfere with the opaque parts, making the opaque parts look kind of semi-transparent. I've attached some renders with different bias settings below.

Comment

Hi hermit.crab ,

Thanks for your reply and the tip on using the VRaySwitchMtl. I tried it out, and it works pretty much as my original setup where I used a VRayBlendMtl. And in regards to my issue with transparent parts interfering with opaque parts, it gives the exact same result as previous images I attached. Below are the setups, just to make sure I've done it correctly:

Comment

Yes, the setup is correct. However, the workaround was meant to bypass any overlapping of objects.
            Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
            X