Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new Vray Proxy Node" doesn't render on Rebus farm

I ran into the following problem:

proxies loaded using the "new Vray Proxy Node" don't render on Rebus.

What I tried so far:

1.uploaded a scene to Rebus with VRay Proxy loaded without selecting "use new Vray Proxy Node" on import -> Renders. OK!

2.-uploaded a scene to Rebus with VRay Proxy loaded selecting "use new Vray Proxy Node" on import -> doesn't render.

I noted:
    1. the Proxy file is not shown on their list of used files for the render job. means-> wasn't uploaded on scene submission?
    2. when I use "Archive Scene" in Maya, the resulting zip file doesn't contain the associatied vrmesh file when using the new VrayProxy Node, while using the old workflow works.

I want to be able to use the new VRay Proxy Node on Rebus farm, but they haven't been able to resolve the issue since the initial release of VRay 5.

Can anyone help?

Originally posted by motoyuki View Post
    I noted:
    1. the Proxy file is not shown on their list of used files for the render job. means-> wasn't uploaded on scene submission?
    This sounds like an issue on the Rebus side. However, it might (potentially) auto-resolve with a fix on our side, see next point.

Originally posted by motoyuki View Post
    2. when I use "Archive Scene" in Maya, the resulting zip file doesn't contain the associatied vrmesh file when using the new VrayProxy Node, while using the old workflow works.
    This was an issue and we fixed it. The fix is available in V-Ray 5, update 1 (that was just released a few day ago).
    I'd suggest grab a fresh build and try again, there's a chance that this fix also fixes the above issue.

Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, but I used RebusFarm religiously for several years and was generally disappointed with the bugginess and their refusal to try to address some very basic compatibility issues (our work pipeline updates texture files frequently without changing filenames - unless you clear out your whole history in Rebus before every render, this will cause a crash at some point because Rebus stores all of your files for re-use and if their version and your version of an image are different the render just stops and there's no way to override this). On a lark, I tried out Chaos Cloud just to test it since they provide free starter points, and now I only use it. I haven't encountered a single bug, prices are competitive, and it being run by Chaos Group ensures that they are the least likely cloud renderer to have a specific issue with the software. I even still have a few hundred dollars worth of points on Rebus and I am fine just letting that live in that account forever.

Once again, this isn't meant to be a smartass response because I am not actually addressing your problem, but give Chaos Cloud a shot

Comment

Thank you yolov and pmorain.

I have asked rebus and they updated to VRay for Maya 5 update 1 apparently, but the issue persists. The archive bug was resolved on Chaos Group's side, I checked that. So the problem must have to do with their scene export script.

I have asked again when thy will fix this, since this is already persisting for almost a year.

pmorain@gmail.com

I remember I have tested how chaos cloud compared to rebus, but somehow I didn't think it would give us an edge. I am yearly spending a budget of around EUR 20K for rendering services, although bought in smaller chunks.
        Comparing the price discounts between Rebus and ChaosCloud, I felt, we get a much better deal at rebus.

In your experience, how do costs compare to rebus after switching?

Comment

To be honest I haven't spent enough budget on renders since switching over - I'm lucky to be in a company where our yearly $2-4k rendering budget is trivial so it hasn't made an impression on me yet. I suppose I should try running several scenes through both services and see what it averages out to...

Comment

Working...
          X