Turn off Glossy Reflection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn off Glossy Reflection?

We jumped from Vray 3xx to Vray 5. Now we are bringing some old projects back. I'm noticing that the refractions are different. I'm pretty sure it's because "glossy Fresnel" is on by default. There still is an attribute on the shader to turn it on or off through mel, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there a way to disable glossy fresnel in vray 5 to match old projects?

Currently, the Glossy Fresnel option is always active. You can use this Post Translate Python Script to switch the option off for all the materials in the scene:
    Code:
    from vray.utils import *
    nodes = findByType("BRDFVRayMtl") # Get all BRDFVRayMtl plugins
    for node in nodes:
    node.set("option_glossy_fresnel", 0)
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

The image on the left, is in maya 2018 with vray 3. if I turn on glossy fresnel it looks exactly like the right side. The right side is maya 2020 with vray 5. I tried the your code in the "post translate python" spot, but it looks the same with or or with out it the script. If it worked I would have expected it to look exactly like the left side image.

I wonder if the renderer in vray 5 is even evaluating the parameter ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello

do you use fog multiplier and bias? ... with VRay 5 there a 2 new system from VRay mtl for make translucency in your materials the Volumetric for liquids or glasses or similar or your imagination hehe and the SSS for skins or marble or rubber or your imagination hehe and for thin layers you have the option of thin walled

do have you tried these options?
        Carlos Alvarez Velazquez

Tutorials about VRay for Maya:
        https://youtube.com/CarlosAlvarezVelazquez

Comment

I cam make vray 3 look like vray 5 by turning on "glossy fresnel". My question is there a way to make vray 5 work like vray 3, for legacy projects? I've "turned it off" but it does not seem to render different either way. So I'm not sure if vray 5 is even reading that parameter.

Comment

Maybe the difference lies somewhere else. Do send the scene (either here) or via the contact form so we can take a look. Address it to me in the subject and mention a link to this thread in the message.
            Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
            X