ZDepth for compositing seems off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZDepth for compositing seems off.

This is an image showing my VRay Zdepth render element in Nuke. What I'd like to do is put the snowman into full focus, and have the trees be defocused. However, the scaling of the Zdepth seems off. It puts the snowman mostly into the same depth plane as the trees. What is the best way to fix this? I would like to do DOF in post, not in-camera in Maya. (the VRay physical camera does the DOF very very well in Maya, no problems there! I just want to do the DOF in post because we will be racking focus between the bunny rabbit and the snowman, and that can be tricky to do in-camera). I feel like I am missing something simple. Thank you!

And here is the VRay channel from the VFB (this JPG shows more information than the Vray frame buffer, because in the buffer I do not see the sky at all- it's full white). Any ideas on how to get Snowman in focus and the trees blurred with this? Also, what is going on with those VDB clouds going full-black? That's so weird!

THANK YOU!

I am learning...

Comment

Well, Patrick, if you go to Deep Compositing EXRs and bring those into Nuke properly you'll be able to recapture pretty much all of the Vray Physical Camera awesomeness and yet have the ability to really mess with your image in Nuke. 2D ZDefocus work has a lot of issues, and every big studio in town has been mostly into deep compositing for a while. So, buy the bigger SSDs and deal.

Comment

No need to be condescending, Patrick. But thank you for the idea. It works!

Comment

Working...
        X