X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray LightRect Directional Issue

V-Ray LightRect Directional Issue

Hi all

I’m having a few issues when adjusting the LightRect directional property when using V-Ray soft box.

Here are the directional properties:

Left 0.5
    Middle 0.75
    Right 0.95

We start to lose the V-Ray soft box shape on the middle sphere and completely loose the V-Ray soft box shape on the right sphere.

Cheers

Steve​
    Attached Files

Hello sherridge101

Please, be aware that this is the expected result. Increasing the Directional value makes the light beam more narrow and concentrates it in one direction. This does not allow it to spread as much.

Would you let us know why would you want to enable the Directional Properties with V-Ray Soft Box ? Do you want to make the light appear smaller?

Comment

Cool, cheers.

Increasing the directional properties gives more contrast and harder shadows - I would like to keep the soft box in the reflection though, as on the left, if poss.

Comment

Hello sherridge101

As mentioned above, more contrast and harder shadows is exactly what increasing the Directional value causes. As a workaround, I would suggest making the VRayLightRect smaller in size and decreasing the value of the Direction. This would allow the light to spread more while being smaller in size. Please refer to the image: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...1_09-20-48.jpg

Additionally, if you only need the reflection, you can Bake the light into the texture. This would give you more control over the final result. Please, refer to our Documentation for more information: https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA/Texture+Baking

Comment

If the light is smaller in size we don't get the big soft box shape in the reflections.

Shame we can't keep the original soft box size and shape in the reflection but change the lights direction (and so contrast and shadows).

Seems weird that by narrowing the direction, the reflection would change completely.

Comment

Working...
          X