Can't use any vray textures as density map in Chaos Scatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't use any vray textures as density map in Chaos Scatter

Hello. I can't use dirt, bercon etc. as density map in chaos scatter. Maya just insta crashes.

In your documentation it's specified that the input should be "a black and white texture map", but it would be great if procedural textures where allowed.
    Is there a workaround?

I get a crash with VRayDirt only. I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAYA-12257). Other procedural textures seem to work fine. Make sure you plug the R channel in the slot (not alpha).
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
      I get a crash with VRayDirt only. I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAYA-12257). Other procedural textures seem to work fine. Make sure you plug the R channel in the slot (not alpha).
      thank you, I’ll see if I can get it working with the others

Comment

Had a chance to test it now.

These work:

Maya ramp.
        Vray simplex
        Maya checker

These doesn't work:
        Bercon
        Dirt
        Distance
        Cloud

Haven't tried the rest.

I would say that Bercon, Dirt and Distance are the most important ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-22 161613.png
Views:	279
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	1184359
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-22 162251.png
Views:	248
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	1184360
        Last edited by Twist; 22-06-2023, 07:37 AM.

Comment

A workaround for Bercon is to use the "Explicit map" options for UVW Generation, the default is "Object XYZ" which is not currently supported by Scatter.
          The problem with Dirt is that it traces rays, which fails because we're still generating the geometry. We will immediately do something so it doesn't crash, but it may be difficult to make it work.
          Distance is probably a similar case as it is geometry dependent. Cloud on the other hand should work, we will investigate why it doesn't.
          Deyan Spirov
          V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Hello,
            I am trying Chaos Scatter currently, and have some issues too:
            • The Vray FallOff doest not seems able to drive density map.
            • It would be nice to be able to project texture and just not using Uvs.I know it is possible to bake it, but it's really a lost of time and iterations ability.
            • It would be nice too to be able to see in the viewport the instances scattered accordingly to the density map.
            • Is there a way to color the instances based on the texture sampling of the point intanced (such as Clarisse has with texture instance and support color )?

Comment

1. Regarding VRayFalloff - this is probably possible to support. We'll look into it.
              2. We'll think about this.
              3. This should already be implemented. Just tested it out with the stable nightlies.
              4. Is this what you mean? If yes, we do not have this option implemented at this point, however, we are planning to add the feature.
              Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

i'll check dor the nightlies, thanks.
                Yes , the surface color map is a must have feature, so useful !
                About projection, it s really a poweful feature, you can do kind of frustrum density by using camera projection, but also ramps for a lot of varierty of purposes.
                Do you plan to support sampler info also? it could be very nice to get acces to Pworld and/or Pobject and remapping it to fit some needs.
                Density based on normals(via sampler info) would be nice too.

Comment

I have noticed that the scatter boxes in the viewport do not update after applying a texture to the Density Texture slot. It was driving me crazy until I just did a render and noticed stuff masked out.

Comment

Working...
                  X