masking values on bump mult not possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masking values on bump mult not possible

Hello, I noticed when connecting almost every node to the bump multiply in the Vray Material, it will set it to 0. Usually I would split an object by texture masks with a VrayLayeredTex into different areas and then connect the Layer R Channel (or message) to the bump mult to get various normal strengths.
    Is there a workaround without splitting the material?
    In the screenshots you can see the RGB mask, that is connected to the LayeredTex mask channels and each channel got an individual value but in the end I won't receive any normal detail anymore.

(Maya 2023 and Vray 6)

Click image for larger version

Name:	grafik.png
Views:	118
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1184510Click image for larger version

Views:	61
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1184511Click image for larger version

Views:	62
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1184512

Just tested this and it works fine. I think the issue on your end is that your blending mode is set to normal, which means your textures overlap each other. Try using Add instead.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hey, thanks. Did you try it with a bump map or a normal map (tangent space)? I can, for example, only plug in the blue channel of my mask into the bump mult which should result in a normal detail with bump mult 1 on the cork of the bottle and no detail anywhere else. But still, whenever I plug in a color channel it will result in 0 normal detail. It does work with bump maps and normals in other spaces than tangent space though.

Comment

Since the RGB channels are being used as masks, it shouldn't matter what the blending mode is. But, have you tried plugging them into the texture slots instead and indeed using an Add or Mult operation instead of going the masking route?

Comment

Originally posted by pascal_kuhn View Post
          Hey, thanks. Did you try it with a bump map or a normal map (tangent space)? I can, for example, only plug in the blue channel of my mask into the bump mult which should result in a normal detail with bump mult 1 on the cork of the bottle and no detail anywhere else. But still, whenever I plug in a color channel it will result in 0 normal detail. It does work with bump maps and normals in other spaces than tangent space though.
          Could you simplify the scene (a plane and a light should be sufficient) along with the texture and attach (or send) it so we can take a look?
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X