Fix Displacement Hard Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix Displacement Hard Edges

I am using a displacement map to render terrain.

When I get very close to the surface the polygons have hard edges no matter how small I set the displacement attributes "edge length" or " max subdivs".

Can I soften the edges, as on regular polygon edges you can just "soften/harden edges"....or am I simply limited by the displacement texture resolution?

I've run into this issue multiple times over the years, and never found a solution. Even uprezzing the displacement map only goes so far -- seems to be a problem inherent to displacement and close camera proximity to geo in Vray.

Comment

Try playing around with the image file's filtering and interpolation (must be loaded in a VRayBitmap). For starters, try Interpolation - Biquadratic and Filtering - Isotropic.​ Make sure the texture is 32-bit. Sometimes texture blurring sometimes helps.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I find it easier to set the displacement Type for terrains to be set as 2D displacement , not normal displacement, this will make the displacement use all the resolution information on the 32 bit file and you don't have to tweak edge length and so forth.If you have a high resolution map you can leave the filtering OFF. Also remember the quality of the displacement depends on the quality of the displacement map, It's better to get a 1meter lidar texture to render up close, other images are meant to be a little more distant from the ground otherwise you will see some pixelation even if it is 32 bit.
        The Displacement Type "Normal Displacement" Click image for larger version  Name:	Mt.Etna.png Views:	0 Size:	5.34 MB ID:	1184680 Click image for larger version  Name:	Catalina.png Views:	0 Size:	5.13 MB ID:	1184681 Click image for larger version  Name:	CatalinaCloseUp.png Views:	0 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	1184682 using the edge length will give you the same result as 2D displacement but will involve more fine tuning of the settings and the plane surface subdivisions.

Where did you get the file from?
        Are you using a terrain generator software?
        What's the resolution of your displacement map and bit depth?
        What are the settings for the displacement? please provide more details.
        Last edited by damaggio; 27-06-2023, 07:04 AM.
        https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Working...
        X