Random by ID now behaves differently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random by ID now behaves differently?

I am revisiting an old project that was done 4-5 years ago with whatever version of Vray was current at the time. I'm getting a completely different result with a shader that was set up to sample a ramp using Random by ID.

I'm shading random bits of geo generated from MASH with an ID, sampling a simple four-color ramp to assign diffuse color randomly. The Random by ID attr. is plugged into the V Coord attr of the ramp (see attached grab). Previously this worked absolutely fine, with each piece of geo getting assigned one of the four shades of gray in the ramp permanently.

Now, the exact same scene file randomly reassigns one of the colors on each frame, causing unacceptable flickering through an animation. At first I thought it was perhaps a MASH issue, but baking my instancer to geo did not solve the problem so this seems to suggest it's the sampler info, especially as removing the connection and giving all the geo the same color removes the problem.

Has something about the way the Sampler Info works changed, or is there otherwise a different way I need to set this (very simple) shading network up in order to get color values to "stick". This is the second time in about a year I've gone back to an old project to find that a fundamental feature of a shading network has been broken by a new version of Vray, very disappointing.
    Attached Files

Have I understood correctly - Your objects' colors are getting randomized on each frame rather than sticking to their original colors? Which V-Ray were you using back then? Could you simplify and attach (or send) the scene so we can troubleshoot?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes you understood correctly, but on further investigation it seems like that isn't what was actually going on. Still not sure exactly what was happening (this scene is hard to read and test and the geo in question is tiny little pieces so requires setting up a closeup camera each time to do a test. In other words it's a pain to troubleshoot this). It may actually have been something to do with MASH after all, and/or that I was deleting unnecessary pieces which appears to have been reseeding the random color assignment. As of now, seems like I've managed to stop what was happening. I may be back though....

Comment

Working...
      X