Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Proxy and Materials

Hi everybody!

I am experiencing a small issue with V-Ray proxies.

Basically, when I create a proxy out of an object and then import that proxy into a new scene, said proxy appears completely grey, with a default Lambert applied to it in the render window.

The issue is that V-Ray proxies, at least in Maya, do not automatically link the materials to the object. I have to do it manually in the Attribute Editor every time, which is kind of annoying to be honest.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you very much!

Make sure Automatically create proxies is turned on and save the scene.
    Importing that scene with it's proxy will retain the materials.

Comment

Originally posted by stezza View Post
      Make sure Automatically create proxies is turned on and save the scene.
      Importing that scene with it's proxy will retain the materials.
      "Automatically Create Proxies" is on by default.

It makes no difference. The materials will not be linked automatically. :-\

By the way, this is an issue that it has been there since quite a while, prior to the latest V-Ray version. I am not the only one who experienced it.

Comment

Originally posted by MannaTheBerserk View Post

"Automatically Create Proxies" is on by default.

It makes no difference. The materials will not be linked automatically. :-\

By the way, this is an issue that it has been there since quite a while, prior to the latest V-Ray version. I am not the only one who experienced it.
        Works fine on a simple scene when "Automatically create proxies" is active. Does it render correctly? Check the proxy's Shader rollout - are there any shaders there? Maybe you're getting confused by the grey viewport color of proxies.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post

Works fine on a simple scene when "Automatically create proxies" is active. Does it render correctly? Check the proxy's Shader rollout - are there any shaders there? Maybe you're getting confused by the grey viewport color of proxies.
          It renders all grey, because the proxy shader rollout is empty.
          That means I have to import my shaders, preventively exported from the hypershade (because of this problem), and reconnect them to the proxy, by populating the proxy shader slot.

Comment

Can you share a screen capture of your process?

Comment

Can you share a screen capture of your process?
              Sure. Here it is.

Original object render
              Original Object Render

Create Proxy
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy_Export_Settings.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	1187770

Proxy Attributes after importing it into an empty scene

Name:	Proxy_after_import.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1187771

Hypershade after Proxy import into the empty scene

Name:	Hypershade_after_Proxy_Import.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	1187772

Proxy render

Name:	Imported_Proxy_render.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1187773

Another thing I just noticed, the V-Ray Proxy does not retain the V-Ray Subdivision Attribute that I assigned to the original objects.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Comment

What you need to do is once you have created your proxy and has been created in your scene you need to save the scene.
                if you render at your pic2 you will see everthing is as it should be.

This scene now holds the proxy along with the applied materials, remember the materials only exist in the Maya scene and not with the proxy.
                So once you have created your proxy save that maya scene and import the scene which will bring in the linked proxy and connected materials.

Comment

What you need to do is once you have created your proxy and has been created in your scene you need to save the scene.
                  if you render at your pic2 you will see everthing is as it should be.

This scene now holds the proxy along with the applied materials, remember the materials only exist in the Maya scene and not with the proxy.
                  So once you have created your proxy save that maya scene and import the scene which will bring in the linked proxy and connected materials.
                  That makes sense. Thank you.

What about the V-Ray subdivision attribute?
                  Will the Proxy carry it with it?

Comment

No dont think that would be saved, you's need to apply it to the object after the proxy has been created.
                    if you only want it to go on a section of the model I think you's need to "export each object as separate file" then apply it to that part.

Comment

No dont think that would be saved, you's need to apply it to the object after the proxy has been created.
                      if you only want it to go on a section of the model I think you's need to "export each object as separate file" then apply it to that part.
                      Fair enough.

Thank you very much for your support!

Comment

Working...
                      X