Switch Render Layer Causing Excessive Wait for Overrides to Execute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Render Layer Causing Excessive Wait for Overrides to Execute

I'm having an issue in a scene when I switch to/from render layers with overrides to a VRay Object Properties node in a collection, it takes several minutes to calculate and make the switch. During the calculation the Maya Help Line bar displays "Switching to layer 'xRenderLayer' (applying override 'matteSurface') and/or whatever other overrides I have on that VOP node. It's a typical Matte Surface override situation (overriding Matte Surface, Alpha Contribution, Affect Alpha, Reflection Amount). When I switch from one of these render layers back to master layer it will behave the same way, display the reverse message (Switching to default layer (un-applying override x)). Some more details...

The VOP node is in a collection by itself. The VOP node has two group nodes in the set. Those group nodes are in other Collections in the render layer. Granted, those group nodes are comprised of referenced assets made up of many objects and heavy geo.

The strange thing is, I've had previous versions of the scene behave with no issues when switching between render layers. It would do it almost instantly, so I'm hesitant to simply blame it on the fact that there are lots of objects involved. Then, when I either update a reference (using Shotgrid) or manually replace one of the group nodes in the VOP node, the problems begin.

Hopefully I explained it well enough. It's a complex scene that's difficult to debug, but I'm posting here in case someone has an idea of what could be causing it and how to fix it.

Thanks!

-Brian

Update: well, I deleted the overrides to the VOP and it still takes several minutes to switch render layers. Which means I should probably post to the Autodesk Forum, haha. That still doesn't explain why it once was fast and now it's not.

Comment

Working...
    X