Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GI Flickering, no matter what method is used.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Flickering, no matter what method is used.

Hi all,

I'm getting GI flickering on an interior scene that I can't seem to get rid of and urgently need advice, I've tried messaging Chaos Tech support 2 days ago but haven't had a response.

My (small kitchen) scene is lit via a HDRI, and this is the only light in the scene. I'm using V-Ray 6 Update 2 - v6.20.00 from Feb 11, rendering it via Deadline on a couple of PCs using V-Ray GPU. There is only a slow moving camera in my scene and no moving geometry.

I've tried using Light Cache with V-Ray's default animation - subdivs set to 3000 and as far as 9000 - it flickers on a few objects in particular places, not all over. This is with the mode set to Single Frame.
    I've tried saving out the light cache via rendering a frame with Autosave switched on, then setting the mode to From File - it flickers, in the same places as before.
    I've tried using Brute Force on it's default depth of 3 - it flickers. I've tried upping this to 8-10, it flickers in the same places.
    I've tried Brute Force locally and on Chaos Cloud, it flickers in the same places.

I can't really render this on CPU as frames take over an hour on our PCs, compared to 7 minutes on our RTX4090, my deadline to render a 160 frame shot is short... I need it rendering over the weekend.

What else can I try to remove the flickering?

Can you post some render settings tabs so we can see more details including light settings.

Comment

Originally posted by stezza View Post
      Can you post some render settings tabs so we can see more details including light settings.
      stezza here are my settings
      Attached Files

Comment

One weird thing I have noticed with my scenes is that the Light Cache Preset mode automatically changes itself to Still from Animation everytime I save my scene on my PC then open it up on the render farm PC. I have to reset it to Animation before rendering. A bug, maybe?

Comment

First test I would do is use bucket with cpu
          turn off "From File" to single frame
          LC animation should be fine.
          Try a few frames see how that goes.

Can you share a pic of your render result?

Comment

Sure, I'll give that a try. Only issue is that CPU is going to take way too long to render out the sequence, we need it done on GPU preferably.
            I'll send you a PM stezza with the result I'm currently getting.

Comment

Originally posted by sebbiej View Post
              One weird thing I have noticed with my scenes is that the Light Cache Preset mode automatically changes itself to Still from Animation everytime I save my scene on my PC then open it up on the render farm PC. I have to reset it to Animation before rendering. A bug, maybe?
              This has been a bug for years, however although the drop down preset shows it's been reset to "Still" the number of subdivs below remains at 3000, which is the Animation preset value, and I believe the other attrs. stay at Animation settings too. It's annoying though.

Comment

Have you found a solution? Perhaps adding some additional lights would help. To light an interior only with an HDRI is really a challenge for any render. That is why in real life photographer and film guys/girls need so many lights.

Comment

Originally posted by seq View Post
                  Have you found a solution? Perhaps adding some additional lights would help. To light an interior only with an HDRI is really a challenge for any render. That is why in real life photographer and film guys/girls need so many lights.
                  Yeah, I found a solution with some help from Stezza. So, the flickering was happening below a kitchen worktop on my scene on the top of the front of the kitchen cupboard doors. If I made the cupboard doors slightly intersect the worktop the flickering disappeared. I think as there was a small gap, V-Ray GI couldn't figure out what was meant to be happening there. I also swiched to bucket mode and that helped, although I'm not sure if it's that which made the difference, or not!

Comment

Perfect. Then happy rendering!

Comment

Working...
                    X