Curves slow down render region translation times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curves slow down render region translation times

Hi, when curves are in the scene theres a huge delay when using the render region. Since curves cannot be rendered is it possible in future versions of Vray to speed this up somehow?

The curves I need in the scene because they are DWG drawings. Regards.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Can you give me some more information on this ? How many curves are there in the scene ? Does the same thing happen when you are not region rendering (it seems there shouldn't be a difference - region rendering or not) ?
    Ideally, sending us a scene will help us a lot in fixing this.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hi I have sent the scene into vraymaya at choasgroup dot com

There are a lot of curves in the scene, but other renderers, like mental ray, don't have this problem so I'm assuming it's how Vray is exporting before rendering.

The scene I'll send in is quite basic.

- There is a reference attached to the scene and that referenced file is sourced from a DWG drawing.

- There are 2,371 curves in the drawing.

- When I unload the reference from the Maya scene, vray instantly does render regions.

- When I load the reference scene, Vray takes a long time to export then render.

My system details are as follows: i7 965 and 9gb of memory running Maya 2010x64 on vista64.

This isn't isolated to a reference issue either, when the curves inside the scene it will also slow down.

Thanks.
      Maya 2020/2022
      Win 10x64
      Vray 5

Comment

Strangely enough it seems we have already fixed this, somewhat by mistake.
        Anyway your scene helped me realize what exactly is going on. Thank you. The next update won't have the significant slow down when region rendering.

The problem actually occurs not because you have many curves in your scene but because there are many dependency nodes ( in this case - curves).
        It can actually be solved by just fixing some stuff in our MEL scripts. I'm attaching a MEL file that is fixed, just go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2010\vray\scripts ( or the equivalent under Linux/Mac) and paste the attached file replacing the one that is already there. Region rendering should be fast again ( the next full update should make it even a little faster, since there are some changes in the C++ code as well).

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Attached Files
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thank you Vladimir. I received your email as well.

Everything works great now, it is really fast to render region again so I appreciate your time in explaining what the issue was and the MEL script to fix the issue.

Best regards,
          Kiernan
          Maya 2020/2022
          Win 10x64
          Vray 5

Comment

Working...
          X