Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROXY GEO rendered with another renderer

Hallo Guys,

i'm currently rendering a character with Vray and its skin with MR (beat me).

I use Vray Proxies and everything works fine until i turn on "export velocity" when creating my proxies.

If i do so, my renders do not match (overlap) anymore....even if i TURN OFF motionblur in both renders - VRAY and MR. Means VRAY uses the object at a different time when rendering (just a minimal offset).

I think i am not the only one that needs renderpasses from different renderes...imagine 20Mio particles and u need a holdout when using Renderman?

I even dont know what would happen if i switch motionblur ON in other renderes when using proxies. From my experience 3delight and MR match pretty good.

Could anyone please take a look into this?!?

thx
    oli
    OLIVER MARKOWSKI - Head of 3D at RISE | Visual Effects Studios

you might want to check frame offset to be consistent with mr and vray. I think mr defaults to be 0.5 where vray 0.0 I could be wrong though.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hey,

thx for the reply,but the problem is even there when MBLUR is OFF...in that case no offsets are taken into account...and i also checked them

My MR renderings are always the same. The only renders that do not match are the renderings in VRAY when using a proxy that was exported with "Export Velocity" ON and OFF.

cheers
      Oli

Comment

The viewport preview of a proxy exported with velocity, will be a little off currently. Do you use the preview to render with mental ray ?
        Also if you have changing mesh topology, the actual proxy vertex positions will get exported not for the start of a frame but 0.05 of a frame later. So if you have a smooth node make sure "Preserve tessellation" is enabled.

Actually, I'll have to rewrite some of the export code when velocity is enabled, the preview being off is not a very nice thing and also currently, the uv information and normals will be exported at a different time compared to the vertex positions, which may create problems as well.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hey Vladimir,

i think this 0.05 frames offset is exactly what i am seeing. I have written a procedure that exports every proxy with its exact facecount,so i can use it for rendering in other renderers as well....like a high-jacked pointcache for my renderscenes And it works really well...besides this offset.

If you are about to fix some of this code it would be very nice if u could fix my issue too! i would greatly appreciate that!"!!!
          EDIT: I know that it's not a vray bug....and i will not complain if it will not be fixed! but it would be nice

thx and as always keep up that great work
          Oli
          Last edited by ultrasonic; 20-10-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Hey guys,

i just read the release notes of todays nightly build and must say that i am impressed!!!

I could not upgrade to one of the latest builds because i was in production until today....

I also saw a feature which says:
            [feature request] Option for the VRayProxy object to display the entire geometry instead of the preview - resolved.
            Would it help to use that feature in my case here? Cause i was rendering the preview of the proxy until now...

cheers
            Oli

Comment

Originally posted by ultrasonic View Post
              Would it help to use that feature in my case here? Cause i was rendering the preview of the proxy until now...
              It might help for other renderers. V-Ray itself always uses the full version for rendering regardless of this option.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

And what if i would use another renderer else than vray? Would it make a difference?

I think i am gonna give it a shot and upgrade in production (uh)......hope my client does not want me to rerender

Comment

Working...
                X