Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Tex

Hello everybody,

I was trying out Water Tex plugin. I got it to work with displacement but it seems that none off the parameters in the Water Tex node change anything.
    water changes across frames, but Persistence, Amplitude, Frequency, etc.... don't change anything.

doing something wrong, or is the plug-in not working properly ?

using 1.5 SP1 official release (no nightly builds)
    www.mirage-cg.com

Unfortunately this does not work properly in SP1 (most of the changes were done afterwards).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I tried out the 10Oct build and got it to work. All the parameters changed and the texture is awfully repetitive.
      Could you explain a little bit the parameters ? What would you suggest to avoid the repetition ? I could mix two different waterTex but is there anything else ?

regards,

Olivier
      www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

I got it to work so far, mixing two water tex maps. I still would like to know exactly what each parameter does. Also, there is a principal wave, and I would like to be able to tweak it, change the height and so on, separately from the little other waves. Is this possible ?

regards,

Olivier
        www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Another thing I really really want is a rougher preview mesh in viewport. (I had a job in which I needed objects to follow waves). Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by waaazoo View Post
            I tried out the 10Oct build and got it to work. All the parameters changed and the texture is awfully repetitive.
            Could you explain a little bit the parameters ? What would you suggest to avoid the repetition ? I could mix two different waterTex but is there anything else ?

regards,

Olivier
            height mult: is used to control the overall hight
            wind direction: determine the waves direction
            wind magnitude: with higher value you get higher waves (there is a threshold after which the value does not make any effect)
            wind direction mult: controls how much the wind influence the wave direction
            choppy mult: defines the sharpness of the waves
            rate: is used to accelerate or slow down wave speed
            seed: its value is used for the random generator which controls the randomness of the waves value.
            resolution: controls the details (number of the waves used for the simulation)
            patch size: defines what is the measurements of 1 water tile

In order to decrease the repetition you can try to increase the patch_size and the wind_magnitude. Then you might have to correct the height mult and decrease the tiles form the placement node.
            Best regards,
            Zdravko Keremidchiev
            Technical Support Representative

Comment

Thank you very much Zdravko ! that helps to understand.
              Here are two tests. I could remove the repetition by tweaking a little bit and mixing two WaterTex maps.
              So, I suppose, that to remove the big waves (seen on sea2) I should lower the wind magnitude.

Another thing I noticed: It seems to me that these big waves are not moving along the pattern (like rolling, moving waves). They move a bit, then disappear (well, are lower) and begin again. This gives a strange effect. Did anyone notice that also ?

regards,

Click image for larger version

Name:	sea2_0142.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	843516Click image for larger version

Name:	sea3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	843517
              www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Originally posted by waaazoo View Post
                Another thing I noticed: It seems to me that these big waves are not moving along the pattern (like rolling, moving waves). They move a bit, then disappear (well, are lower) and begin again. This gives a strange effect. Did anyone notice that also?
                It is unfortunately a drawback of the algorithm used to generate the waves. It might be less noticeable if you use smaller waves with respect to the patch size, so that they have space to move in some direction.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  It is unfortunately a drawback of the algorithm used to generate the waves. It might be less noticeable if you use smaller waves with respect to the patch size, so that they have space to move in some direction.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Thanks Vlado, but this is sad. Would be interresting to see if moving/animating the texture placement slightly gives the impression of correctly moving waves...
                  www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
                  X