vray render buffer crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray render buffer crashes

I have been emailing and skyping chaos group regarding this problem, but I am yet to receive a fix, so I thought I'd also try this route.

I am consistently having trouble with the vray buffer crashing my scene in maya, regardless of which build, whether it be a nightly or official. Other machines in my studio do not have the same problem as much but it does occur rarely. I have re-installed both maya and vray several times, but to no avail.

I am running snow leopard 10.6.5.

The support on this issue has been terrible. I have sent through the crash reports, build details etc, and have received nothing in the way of an answer, despite the fact that the company that I work for has several licences and are loyal customers of Chaos Group.

Vlado, please could you contact me with regards to this problem as soon as possible as this is an essential feature of vray.

Regards,

liam@mainframe.co.uk
    Broadcast Designer/VFX Artist at Mainframe

We are aware that there are issues and we are working to resolve them, but it simply does not appear to be an easy fix. On our test machines here it is very hard to reproduce the problem, which slows down the progress.

Best regars,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hello Liam,

I can confirm this is a problem on our side.
      I was able to reproduce the crash (as it does not happen every time here) just today, so there is a positive progress towards resolving it soon. So, we're on the way of getting this bug fixed and the support will contact you as soon as we have a working build.

Best regards,
      Vesko
      Veselin Georgiev
      Developer
      Chaos Software, Ltd.

Comment

That's great,

Thanks for your reply, I eagerly await the solution.

Regards,

Liam

Comment

Sorry to bump this post again but I have still not heard anything from Chaos Group regarding the render buffer crashing.

I have email since to no avail.

Please contact me with any updates or progress that you have made.

I am starting to feel that the support for this product is not as good ass I had previously thought.

Regards,

Liam

Comment

Similar problem here with Vray Standalone + Blender. Scene renders out fine but then the VFB crashes right when it finishes, before I can save. For me it only seems to happen in a scene with lots of proxies, distributed with particles.

Comment

Dear Liam, dear StompinTom,

while we've confident enough that the specific problem you are experiencing is already fixed, we have other VFB-related bug reports from other users, and we want to address those issues before giving you a build that is truly useful.
              Still, if you want to test it the way it is right now, please contact our support team and they will give you a nightly build.

Best regards,
              Vesko
              Veselin Georgiev
              Developer
              Chaos Software, Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by veselin.georgiev View Post
                Dear Liam, dear StompinTom,

while we've confident enough that the specific problem you are experiencing is already fixed, we have other VFB-related bug reports from other users, and we want to address those issues before giving you a build that is truly useful.
                Still, if you want to test it the way it is right now, please contact our support team and they will give you a nightly build.

Best regards,
                Vesko
                Thanks, Vesko! I'll send the support team an email and give the nightly build a spin.

Comment

Hello again,

The problem still sometimes persists. It seems to only happen when an EXR is used as an Environment, if that helps any.

Comment

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I have still got the same problem, although I am now using the 2.0 update. I find it hard to understand why this isn't fixed in the new version. Am I alone in not being able to use this fundamental function of Vray?

I now do not get the buffer at all. It flashes up for a fraction of a second, then disappears. Not great.

I'm using Maya hotfix 3 and the latest Vray 2.0 on OSX 10.6.7

I have sent countless emails with crash reports etc and posted on the forum several times and still no fix.

Come on ChaosGroup. We payed for a product update on 7 licenses (£1200!) on top of what we payed initially and it is still not functioning as promised.

Please let me know of any developments.

Regards,

Liam
                    Last edited by liamchapple; 26-05-2011, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Dear Liam,

I am very sorry for the problems you are experiencing.
                      The reason we didn't proceed any further in our investigation is simply because, on our side, the crash is notoriously hard to reproduce. We only got it once, but that was insufficient to point us in the right direction.
                      It could be due to some settings on our test machine (or other differences). At some point after your report we didn't get any new crashes, so we checked it off.

Yet we're determined to get this issue resolved, even if it only occurs under specific circumstances.
                      Could you please record a screencap video of the exact sequence of events that leads to the problem? Especially, starting from an empty scene would be great.
                      If it is simple, you can just describe the specific steps. Please mention any non-default settings you might be using and could be related to the problem (like the EXR environment thing - although, I tested that, but it didn't crash here).
                      Veselin Georgiev
                      Developer
                      Chaos Software, Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by liamchapple View Post
                        I have sent countless emails with crash reports etc and posted on the forum several times and still no fix.
                        It is simply not easy to fix; that doesn't mean we are not working on the issue. In any case I'm starting to think that perhaps it was a mistake to include the frame buffer with OS X builds. We should probably disable it until we can verify that it works correctly.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for your reply. Please excuse my angry post, I just find it extremely frustrating, particularly when I have taken over from a pc file, don't notice that VFB is checked then crash and lose any unsaved changes (rookie error , I know, but it does happen).

I have just tried to reproduce the error on a project that I am currently working on but, of course, VFB is working perfectly!!!

I am a bit too busy to set anything else up now, but will send you over any error reports that I get, I'm sure we wont wait too long.

Thanks again for your response.

Liam

Comment

Working...
                          X