launching VFB renders from a python script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• launching VFB renders from a python script

We use a python script to launch test renders in the VFB but we have a problem. If window focus changes (eg click in another window) then the render will freeze and maya will stop responding and must be killed from task manager. This only seems to be a problem if we are using VFB.

This is the python commands we are currently using.

import maya.mel as mel
    cmd = 'vrend -width 1024 -height 576 -camera cameraShape -layer layerA'
    mel.eval(cmd)

If we do it with mel like this
    vrend -width 1024 -height 576 -camera cameraShape -layer layerA;
    then there is no problem.

We would really like to get this working with python, so I attached a simple test scene if you want to have a look.

Thanks in advance.
    David
    Attached Files

I am able to reproduce it even with a very simple scene, all I need is to start rendering from python script when VFB is on.
    I will look into it, thanks a lot for pointing it. My bet for now if a multithread issue.
    V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Just wondering if any progress has been made on this one.
      Currently we are working around the problem by creating a mel scriptJob which launches the render. We then trigger the scriptJob via our python script.

cheers
      David

Comment

Not yet, sorry. Will post here (and PM you) when I find a solution. Sorry for the inconvenience.
        V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Thanks Milena.
          Actually the workaround with the script job solves the problem for us. Its just not very pretty from a programming point of view.

Comment

Working...
          X