Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Displacement breaking up

Hey,
    I'm having some trouble with a displacement map and V-Ray where the model "breaks up". Please see the screenshot for my model, render and settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-12 at 10.50.46 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	872548

I originally made the rock about 10x the size (or else it won't work with Mudbox). The map renders just fine at its original size. But when I've re-sized it down, the map breaks up. Despite whatever values I put in the Displacement Amount / Shift settings. If I set the displacement much lower, it has no effect at all. I am using a negative half in the shift value as mentioned in the Digital Tutors tutorial. I am also using vector displacement as Normal Displacement shows the low-res wireframe (for some reason).
    /Bard
    www.hellobard.com
    Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) - Motion graphics artist

How did you resize the map? Simpe image rescaling does not work well for displacement maps as it does not ensure that the texture matches along UV seams. It might help instead to re-export it from Mudbox at lower resolution. Turning off filtering for the displacement texture might also help.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hmm.. I actually just resized the object, and did not touch the map. I figured it would be independent of the object's size.
      I will try to re-export from Mudbox at a lower res and turn off filtering. thanks vlado!

Edit:
      Alright, it works now. I re-exported a smaller map from Mudbox and turned off filtering on the file node. Didn't quite work with Vector Displacement, but I switched it over to Normal Displacement and now it works perfectly. Cheers for the help vlado
      Last edited by hellobard; 12-01-2011, 05:37 AM.
      /Bard
      www.hellobard.com
      Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) - Motion graphics artist

Comment

Working...
      X