Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurry bump map - compared to mr

Hi,

I noticed that with vray I can't get bump maps as sharp and crisp as in Mental Ray.

There is one directional light, standard settings - raytraced shadows on

I made the first picture with mental ray - standard blinn - render quality only production preset.
    - The result is what I am looking for.

The second one is vray - also the standard blinn - weird result, totally overbright, the bump map is blurry and not that crisp.

The third one is with vray material - same bump map image. Also blurry result.

The vray settings are also standard, aa 0 2 as in mr

What can I do to get to the MR result.

Every pointer is appreciated.

Thanks

Dominik
    Attached Files
    Dominik Markota | Head of CGI | Senior Shading & Lighting TD @ Serviceplan MAKE

Kind of hard to see anything in the mr image; in any case you can adjust bitmap filtering through the "Global texture filter scale multiplier" parameter in the "Misc" section of the V-Ray settings. The default is 1.0, but you can reduce it to get a sharper result (don't set it to 0.0 though).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Have you disabled quadratic(etc.) filtering on your texture map? I always set it to off, so vray can deal with texture filtering. I've seen quadratic cause very nasty texture blurring artifacts.

Andrew

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys, I will give it a try tommorrow and let you know the results

Cheers

Dominik

Comment

I tried that, but can' get these sharp edges like in mr -

Where I have to need more control is the look of the "bevelling" of the edges via the bump map.

I think vray is doing that in an other way then MR.

My texture is only black & white, e.g. tex. I want to have the text in a sharp way coming out, not bevelled.

Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Kind of hard to see anything in the mr image; in any case you can adjust bitmap filtering through the "Global texture filter scale multiplier" parameter in the "Misc" section of the V-Ray settings. The default is 1.0, but you can reduce it to get a sharper result (don't set it to 0.0 though).

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Is there a similar parameter available in the 3dsMax version of vray? All I can find is a toggle for filtering maps. A global multiplier would be quite handy.
            Patrick.
            Many Thanks
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Hoo View Post
              I think vray is doing that in an other way then MR.
              It would be safe to assume that

Is that possible?
              Technically yes, but it's not exposed in the Maya UI at the moment. Will see what can be done about it.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                It would be safe to assume that
                I didn't mean it that way, haha Sure that vray works in an other manner...

But it would be great, Vlado, also for convincing a colleague, which is a bloody-minded mental ray guru, always argumenting with that bump issue...

Comment

So for revision 13925 and later, VRayMtl and VRayBumpMtl have an additional parameter "Bump delta scale" which should allow you to control this. Giving it a smaller value than the default 1.0 (for example, 0.1) will give you sharper results. You may still have to adjust the global filtering scale multiplier.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Vlado, you are definitively the best!!!!!

Thanks a lot

Dominik

Comment

Vlado, did you mean 13952? So the todays nightly??

Regards

Dominik

Comment

No I meant 13925 and later (this includes 13952 -there are other revisions in between; not all of them concern V-Ray for Maya).

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Working...
                        X