Ptex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ptex!

So a few things. Is it possible to get a file browser for the ptex file node? Also there is no support for Vray attribute Gamma input for the ptex file.

While it starts up fine with RT, the second you adjust the shader, the ptex breaks on the shader. You have to then restart RT to get it to display the ptex correctly.

Another note. Since Ptex relies on the poly information of the object, you can't add a poly smooth, and can only smooth the model with ptex if you do it at render with Vray Sub-D.

That means no Proxy support with ptex unless you paint ptex on the top level of the smoothed geo. How can we use ptex with proxies, and have things smooth while using ptex and proxy?

Ptex is awesome, but it changes a lot of things in workflow.

Also, how can you get mipmap support for ptex? I'm coming out of a 3D paint package and I don't think there is multiple resolution per poly on writing a ptex file. It would be nice to have a way to convert the ptex file to mipmap ptex if that is supported. Having it load the tiled ptex is one thing, but it loads the entire resolution of that poly when it should still also load resolution based off distance, not to mention what its loading up for glossy rays and GI calculations.

Originally posted by Metzger View Post
    While it starts up fine with RT, the second you adjust the shader, the ptex breaks on the shader. You have to then restart RT to get it to display the ptex correctly.
    I'll check this
    V-Ray developer

Comment

Originally posted by Metzger View Post
      So a few things. Is it possible to get a file browser for the ptex file node?
      Not sure about this one, there is a browse button already (at least in Maya 2011).

Also there is no support for Vray attribute Gamma input for the ptex file.
      Yep, it's on the "to do" list.

Another note. Since Ptex relies on the poly information of the object, you can't add a poly smooth, and can only smooth the model with ptex if you do it at render with Vray Sub-D. That means no Proxy support with ptex unless you paint ptex on the top level of the smoothed geo. How can we use PTex with proxies, and have things smooth while using ptex and proxy?
      It's something that we have yet to figure out; there are different approaches here and we'll have to pick one.

Also, how can you get mipmap support for ptex? I'm coming out of a 3D paint package and I don't think there is multiple resolution per poly on writing a PTex file.
      I'll have to check this out, but I think PTex files can actually store multiple resolutions. Also each texture has its own cache for storing the relevant parts of the file.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
      X