No announcement yet.

ptex texture sizing and subdivision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey zach, here's my little setup checklist for Ptex displacement that Vasil helped me figure out:
    http://blog.hellobard.com/2011/10/05...-displacement/

you essentially just have to tweak the minimum and maximum values of the white and black
    Last edited by hellobard; 20-10-2011, 01:00 AM.
    /Bard
    www.hellobard.com
    Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) - Motion graphics artist

Comment

Of course!

I can't believe I missed that. Now that you post, I vaguely remember seeing that original thread.

I kind of wish that they had someone at Chaos group to scrape the forums every day and include the information in the documentation. There is so much great stuff here, but it's not organized in a way that you can find it unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	filterErrors.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	844599

That fixed it, except for those artifacts. I don't have a way of determining if it's an error with vray or the map generation in mudbox. I should be getting a later build with new filtering, so that may resolve it.
      Last edited by Zach Gray; 20-10-2011, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Gray View Post
        I kind of wish that they had someone at Chaos group to scrape the forums every day and include the information in the documentation. There is so much great stuff here, but it's not organized in a way that you can find it unless you know exactly what you are looking for.
        We do that, of course (f.e. this is why I wrote the vector displacement tutorial from Mudbox to V-Ray), but a topic must be of interest to sufficiently many people.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Right. I guess that's the challenge... finding the correct balance between broadly applicable information and specific case by case information. If you make the general docs too deep, then the general information gets buried and it's too intimidating for new users. I like the approach that the Maya docs take - organized into three levels. General Docs, Tutorial Docs, then Technical Docs. They reference each other, but the topical organization keeps it relevant. Makes it easy to go deep when necessary.

I really like your approach to development by the way. It's very artist-centric. I really appreciate the dialogue and the fast turnaround, and exposing new technology early. Having the docs be a step behind is a natural consequence of the pace of development. I'd take that approach any day over the graduaal release schedule that Autodesk takes. (But they are getting better with their SAP releases.)

Thanks!
          Last edited by Zach Gray; 20-10-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

About the artifacts - it was a filtering problem indeed. It should be fixed in the latest nightlies.
            V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Working...
            X