Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fur and VRAY 2

Hi guys,

so it looks like the Maya Fur is not supported in Vray 2.
    How about Shave and Hair cut? Do I have to convert Shave and Hair cut fibers into geometry? If so, would this not drastically increase the rendertime if I have millions of hair/fur polygons?

Any suggestions what or how to create fur in Vray 2? Shave? Or render the Maya fur in Mental Ray and comp it over the Vray render?

Thanks

Andras Kavalecz
    HIVE-FX

There is a V-Ray plugin for rendering Shave&Haircut in Maya, available from Joe Alter.

You can also use VRayFur for simpler cases.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Andras, did you end up working with Shave and V-Ray?
      Do you have any impressions that you would like to share?

We are currently looking at our first grooming project, and we are right now evaluating whether we can use V-Ray fur or if we will have to use Shave & Haircut.

Best Regards,
      Best Regards,
      Fredrik

Comment

Hi Fredrik,

no unfortunately we run out of time. We had difficulties installing shave in maya 2012. In the end we decided to render the hair/fur in Cinema4d and the skin in Maya (Vray2).
        I am sure it would have been nice to use shave esp. for workflow reasons (keeping everything in maya).
        As far as I know Vray fur is very limited. I guess it can be used for simple things like short fur where you might not need grooming ...eg. carpets..etc.

Andras

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik Averpil View Post
          We are currently looking at our first grooming project, and we are right now evaluating whether we can use V-Ray fur or if we will have to use Shave & Haircut.
          Vray fur is very good for very short hair.
          But, as you can't easily groom it, you can't use medium or long hair (the 3DS Max version of VRay has a grooming GUI, but it is not available yet for maya).
          So, in your case, Shave is the solution.
          Originally posted by HIVE-FX View Post
          We had difficulties installing shave in maya 2012.
          What happened ?
          As far as I know, shave is not officialy released for maya2012, the current 2012 version is for "test only".

Comment

Working...
          X